Making hinges, hasps for boxes

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Greetings to all.

Having decided to make some wooden boxes for some of my machining cutters, I realized I would need hinges and
hasps for the boxes as well. Being on the cheap side, I fabricated my own hinges as well as some hasps. I may have
to buy some brass wood screws so looking for a good source for them. Temporarily I used some small brads to put the
boxes together. The hasps are the most difficult part of this project and used an 1/8 inch end mill to carefully cut out the "H"
pattern needed for the base of the hasps. All in all it isn't hard to do but somewhat time consuming to make the hardware
for the boxes. P1040071.JPGThis is the roughed out hasp base. The tabs get bent up 90 degrees and holes drilled in the tabs to mount the latch assembly.

P1040069.JPGThis is what the hasp assembly looks like when completed. There is a flat spring under the latch help keep the latch in
place when the box is closed. P1040064.JPG I used some flat material to make the hinges along with some small lengths of gas welding rod for pins.

P1040076.JPG
Here is the contents of one of the boxes.

@cathead that's some undertaking. I would say it cost more to make that a few hours vs buying. But I get it.. your time is not costing you more.. and gives you pleasure.

They came out nice. How did you bend over the barrels for the hinge pins?

I enjoy a homemade box too. What method/jig did you use to do the finger joints of the box?

I enjoy a homemade box too. What method/jig did you use to do the finger joints of the box?
Well, I have tried finger joints, various butt joints with nails and glue as well as dovetails.
I will be trying a new finger joint jig on the table saw as a next project. I look at a few
You-Tube videos and then head for the shop...

Nice work Burt!
Thanks, Mike.

This whole box thing got started with a trip to the scrap yard. He gives me a call when
there might be something interesting that shows up. I'm the go to guy he calls when he needs
some machining or electrical work done and I keep his machinery working. I don't charge much
for my services and take it out in trade a lot which works well for both of us. He was wondering if
there might some electrical parts I could use on a resaw machine that showed up. I couldn't see
any use for it at the moment. He also mentions there is a 14 inch band saw out back that just arrived.
That came home with me in two pieces, the base and the top part had been separated
thankfully as I was able to load the pieces but would have had a hard time if it was all
together. I made an earlier post a few days ago about getting it up and running. The
scrap yard band saw ended up at what I call shop "B" which has lots of space but has
no grid power. Power there comes from a Honda EU2000 generator unless I fire up
the larger 7000 watt generator. I had taken my 16 inch Walker-Turner band saw over there
several years ago but the Honda would not power it up. A few days ago I hauled the
14 inch scrap yard saw to shop "B" and hauled the 500 pound Walker-Turner home.
After a bit of cleanup and electrical work, I was able to use it at home so started
using it and got involved in making some boxes and hinges and hasps and dowels and
other stuff too. Now you have the story on how I got involved in making wooden boxes;)

Last edited:
Back