Making hinges, hasps for boxes

I'm still in box making mode lately. I'm using oak(white oak I think). My stock is one+ inch thick x a foot
wide so I rip them into 1x2 and then resaw through the Walker-Turner band saw. Then I do glue ups
to make 1/2 inch thick boards and then it's off to the planer. I'm fortunate that I have a 20 inch Oliver
planer that walks through oak like butter. I have a one horsepower blower that spits the shavings out the
window. Come spring I will have to deal with a huge pile of shavings. After all that, I'm ready to make
boxes and hinges and hasps. I do have some poplar nice and dry too so may give that a go as well.

P1040093.JPGThis is a pretty nice box with a home made brass hasp which was made from a round brass standpipe from an
old toilet. One needs to cut off a piece of pipe and then cut it the long way with an angle grinder and then
carefully hammer it into a flat piece of brass. I found it interesting that the outside layer of the brass was
almost pure copper and it took some elbow grease to get down to the desired brass look. This box is a foot wide
and 10 inches tall. I made a table saw sled incorporating a 3/8 x 16 threaded rod to make the finger joints.

There are a few imperfections on this box such as a couple tear outs on the finger joints and some snipe
on the face of the box. I wasn't shooting for perfection so was happy with the results. Maybe the next
box will be better. You just don't know until you make it.:encourage: If the snipe bothers me, I can sand it flat
and restain it later. It's a learning curve mainly dealing with how to arrange the wood for glue ups and
fine tuning so the table saw will cut 90 degrees accurately. I silver soldered some little blobs on the
crosscut fence to take out any wobble and that helped a lot so the boxes end up square to the world.

Back