Making machine covers for a home workshop

My solution is far less glamorous and labor intensive. I had some old fitted bed sheets, king, queen and toddler sizes. Use them to cover my lathe mill and shaper.

I share the same problem as others, my shop is a woodworking space, automotive shop, parking spot, grinding studio, painting booth, and general if it doesn't belong in the house in goes into the garage space.

I'd love to have a Consew or Sailrite machine, but if you're budget-minded the Toyota (yes, *that* Toyota) "Super Jeans" machine is pretty decent. Don't get me wrong, it's the mini-mill to the Bridgeport (Consew, Sailrite), but it can get the job done mostly. Its weight is uninspiring, but it somehow powers through, at least for intermittent use. Full-China, 90% plastic, but quite usable. Temper your expectations and it'll get the job done for you. (Also has a needle threader that is indispensable for those of us of a certain age...).

Alternately, consider one of the hand-operated cobbler machines from Amazon. I don't own one, but it looks like they can be made into good machines with only a few hundred hours of shop time...

GsT

I also made covers from good painter's drop cloths. I have a vey old commercial Singer sewing machine that will sew through about anything. I mostly use it for leather.

I use old bed sheets.. The fitted lower sheets for a single size bed that have elastic in the hem work especially well for me, as they don't tend to slide off when the big door's open and a breeze cruises through the shop.

I remember seeing someone make a number of covers using vinyl upholstery material - I’ll do some digging.

Meanwhile, take a look at the various big-box stores for gas grill covers.

Consew 225, Singer 111 or Juki LU 562. singer is original, and more costly, the other 2 are clones. Juki had reverse. Will do blue jeans up to light leather.\

I use shower curtains.

Back