May Vintage Race at Road America

Mini Cooper S

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
On it's first outing at last years SVRA May race at Road America, my son's 1969 Triumph GT6 had a factory connecting rod fail that caused massive engine damage. Needless to say, that put an early end to the season. Over the last year my son built a new 2 liter 6 cylinder engine sparing nothing to be sure that every component is more than up to the task of running up to 8500 RPM. This years May race was a totally different story. Not only is the engine new but the differential gearing is now more suited to the long straights at Road America.

My son had some big plans for this race, especially for Thursdays Test and Tune day! For his last on track session of the day, he suited up and left early for pre-grid, the area where the cars line up before they go out onto the track. Meanwhile, his girl friend Sarah, took off for her normal vantage point on the outside of turn 5. While waiting on pre-grid to go out onto the track, I took a water soluble marker and wrote a message on the side of his car. As soon as the cars started to roll out to the track, Daniels crew, our friend Brian and myself, hopped on our pit scooters and headed for turn 5. We arrived at turn 5 just in time to watch Sarah filming a video of Daniel going through the turn. She didn't notice the message on the side of the car, I had to show her a picture that I took on pre-grid. "Is this for real" she said, I assured her it was.

FB95IMG951653264328395.JPG

After about four laps Daniel pulled off the track at turn 5 drove around and parked on the pit road just behind the turn five bleachers and got out of the car. When Sarah got to the car he took the ring out of his pocket, got down on one knee and proposed. We then added "She said yes" to the back of the car.

He ran the rest of the weekend with the special message on the car. Despite having old hard tires, he qualified first in his class and finished 3rd. (Bronze medallion) in Saturdays feature race and second (Silver medallion) in Sundays. He spun (at turn five) during Saturday mornings qualifying race after setting his qualifying time for the feature race. He then dialed it back a bit for the feature races. Monday morning, he ordered a new set of tires for the next race on Fathers Day weekend at Blackhawk Farms just cross the border from Beloit WI. That race is going to have an all Triumph feature race, should be fun.

IMG_6338.JPG
Daniel and Sarah

IMG_6375.JPG

Left to right, My wife Nancy, Me, Daniel, Sarah, friend Brian, Nancy's sister Terry

Thanks from all of us at Stonefield Vintage Racing

Last edited:
Cool story. Congrats to your son and your future daughter-in-law.

Wow, congratulations to them both and you as well....

My dear friends Richard and Rochelle ran their GT6 for many years in San Francisco Region and they're still happily married although they no longer race. It truly is a family sport and it sounds like your son has the best crew chief he could want.

Cheers,

John

Thanks for the nice thoughts guys.

Richard

If she said yes to a proposal written on the side of a race car, and a British one at that, she's a keeper in my book!!! :encourage::encourage::encourage::encourage::encourage:

Back