Metal Remnants

Keith Foor

Registered
Registered
I hate asking a question that is most likely been answered twenty times on here but I will anyway as answers do change. I am looking for a source for metal remnants. I had found a place that sold boxes of cutoff ends by the pound. Boxes were 5 10 and 20 pound and were priced by the material in them. For a hobby guy, buying a 4 X 8 sheet of metal can be a bit of a pain. Finding scrap that's usable isn't as easy as it was in the past either. So who is YOUR favorite? Who typically will send you out reasonable pieces and not 20 pounds of 1 inch cubes of square tubing? I realize that there are some projects that will require the purchase of specific material by length but having something to play around with to get a feel for the operation of the machines and to test hand ground lathe tools against before trying to take a cut on a 40 dollar hunk of metal for a project would be a good thing. Online and central Ohio is where I am looking.

Thanks guys.

Ebay sells smallish sheets of brass,aluminum and other metals as well as bars,rods,etc.,of assorted lengths and sizes. When I needed about a square foot of brass I was able to find it there.

fortunately,we have a few good scrap yards in Hampton where I normally have gotten most of my metal,except for tool steels. Although once,I was delighted to find a pallet of 01 tool steel in shopworn paper packaging. Some machine shop must have cleaned out its material. I bought a lot of that!

I have been getting all my metal on ebay, cheaper than driving 40 miles to the metal yard

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked up a 6 foot length of 2" square aluminum tube for $6 at the local scrapyard this week. I needed a cheap straightedge for some woodworking projects.

When I had my ranch in Kansas, steel was everywhere. Not so here in SC, so I go to my local steel supplier - Grand Strand Metal (the one I that doesn't think their metal is somehow gold plated!), and ask to look through their drops piles. The drops are the leftovers from cut to length orders from other customers. They always have something I can use. It's not really sold by weight. They take a look at the pile I have collected and give me a price. It is always a great discount and the more I go to them the better the prices get. Sometimes it is practically free. Plus they have every type and shape I have ever thought up!

I was in the other day and found a 2'x4' 1/4" piece of plate steel that worked perfectly for a bench upgrade I had been thinking about. Then I picked out some nice aluminum and steel angle iron (about 4"x12"). I got a bunch of angle and plate steel that had a couple practice passes on it from the local welding school. It must have been at least 80 pounds of steel - $40. I was thrilled!

I buy new steel and pipe sometimes also. When I bought the pipe for my air compressor setup, they sold me 21' sticks of 1/2" Galvanized for $18 each. I don't know if what I am paying is high or low anywhere else but I think it's fair. They cut it to whatever lengths and angles I want for free too.

Check the local scrap yards. Some will sell small pieces for scrap value to the public. We had one in the next town over but they stopped selling to the public. But there is one a couple towns over who still does.

Research Alloys off of Goodale Blvd. Satisfied customer of many years. Columbus, Ohio.

Back