Metal Sources

Johnnybar

Registered
Registered
Where does your supply of working stock come from? I'm interested in both retailers and secondary sources such as manufacturers and shops that may resell end cuts, etc. I've been dealing with a web seller most of the time but, now that I need a supply of some 1" rod in 12" lengths they are refusing to ship USPS flat rate at my request. Flat rate would save $21.00 per order of round stock that weights just under 20 lbs. The crazy thing is that they use USPS already but, they only use the USPS pouches for up to 3 lbs. ????? I explained to them that flat rate boxes are provided by USPS for free and was curious why they would not allow customers to save $20+ shipping on orders under 20 lbs at no expense to themselves.........no reply. I'm now guessing they are set up to profit significantly on shipping and would like to find other sources for metal stock based on principle alone.

Looking at a map, it looks like Tulsa is about the nearest major city to you. I don't know how often you get to Tulsa, but there must be some metal suppliers, scrap yards, machine shops, etc. there if that is an option. You can also ask nicely on Craigslist, Freecycle, or other sources. Make friends with other machinists in your area and support each other with help, trades, and loans and gifts of extra materials and tooling. Freight makes the price of metal near prohibitive unless you really need it bad for a job or don't have any better choices. Stock up when you see some for sale. I don't know about others on these forums, but I am frugal enough that I try to design my projects to use what I have on hand, and avoid chasing down something I might randomly choose. Still, sometimes you just need to buy what you need and pay the freight to get it...

I have three local sources that I use. One is a wholesale metal supplier that sells to local businesses. They won't cut material unless you are buying multiple full sheets or bars. However they do a a remnant section that occasionally has what I need. The second source is a metal and industrial supply house. Their selection is good if you are looking for steel but they are lacking when it comes to aluminum thicker than 1/2" or round bar larger than 3". And they charge for cutting unless you find a remnant or buy a full length piece. My third choice is the big box stores. I use them for smaller sizes of round and flat bar. Prices are high but if you need it now they are an option.

When I need to order material my go to source is eBay. A huge selection and pricing that can be very competitive or vastly over-priced so you need to do a thorough search before making a purchase. For reference I recently bought a piece of 1/2 x 6 x 24 aluminum from a local supplier. Thought their price was high but I didn't want to wait. Jumped on eBay and the cheapest I could find for the same size piece was within $3 of what I paid locally.

All this being said the first thing I would do is search out local suppliers, if any. Machine shops may be a source but I find that my local shops don't want to deal with some one digging through their scrap pile. Then there's the internet suppliers. Some are good and others not so good as you found out.

Hope this helps and happy hunting.

Tom S.

For wide range of material and fast service you could try McMaster Carr.

Scrap yard is a great place to find some mystery metals
And after u buy from them a couple times they will be much more accommodating. Just got a 4" round very slightly magnetic stainless about a foot long for 50 cents a pound

Think the magnetism was probably from cold rolling for shafts but not sure it's a mystery lol

There are many types of Stainless Steel that are magnetic. I think that all 400 series of SS are slightly magnetic 30o series are not magnetic.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

the Grumpy Old Guy

For aluminum, brass, and copper I use "6061 Dude" on E-bay. For plain old steel I have several local choices.

I drop by the local scrap yards a couple of times a year. I've used Online Metals which have a wide range of materials and will cut to size for a reasonable fee and been
very happy with their product and service. They have a warehouse about 5 miles away from me.

Think the magnetism was probably from cold rolling for shafts but not sure it's a mystery lol
Probably from the crane's electromagnet....I'm guessing anything that will hold a field for a little while will become slightly magnetic after being juiced by that thing.

Back