Metalworking CNC Router for small workshop.

From your posts, you appear to have little or no experience with CNC mills or CAD/CAM. It's very difficult to assist you with this when you have unrealistic specifications for yet to be imagined projects. If I can recommend a doable approach, buy a smaller (not hobbytype, if you have the money) 3 axis CNC vertical mill, a CAD/CAM package, and start your climb on the learning curve. You can always move up as needed.

Ken

You can hold those tolerances with a well constructed VMC provided it is in excellent condition and regularly maintained. Mechanical and software backlash adjustment would be a weekly or bi-monthly activity for you.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Normally there are very few jobs that require 0.01 mm accuracy, and this is normally done in secondary operations and requires a temperature controlled environment. In the USA +/- 0.1 mm or more are common tolerances, except for bearing bores that may be held to +/- 0.015 mm, and this operation is normally done with a boring head.

On my machine, the scales have a resolution of 0.001 mm, but unless I am very careful the actual machine accuracy is around +/- 0.02 mm which is very good for most work. I also should say that my machine is not normal, I have made extensive modifications. My machine has a work envelope of 800 x 300 x 400 and it is large enough to do most work.

As far as machines, Fadal, Mori-Seiki, Mazak, Shizuoka, Haas, Cincinnati Milacron, Hurco are all good machines. First you have to decide on how big you really need, then look for the machine that fits the rest of your needs.

Also take a look here for more machines https://wikimachine.com/cnc-machining-center/

Last edited:
Back