Metric Taper Designation

rmack898

Active User
Registered
The specs for a taper I need to make are 30mm 1:10.
I've never seen taper expressed this way, can anyone enlighten me on how to make this?

I belive that would be 1 mm in 10 mm x 30mm long. Or 30mm could be he small end of the taaper. A standerd marine taper is 3/4" in 1' Come to thing of it a matric marine taper is 1 in 10 I belive. What dia is the shaft you are making.

I belive that would be 1 mm in 10 mm x 30mm long. Or 30mm could be he small end of the taaper. A standerd marine taper is 3/4" in 1' Come to thing of it a matric marine taper is 1 in 10 I belive. What dia is the shaft you are making.

The 1 in 10 is one side of the taper not the included angle.

small d 1 mm
lagre d 10mm
length l 30mm

included angle. 17,06

??????

Here's a example of how metric taper pins are called out.
MetricTaper_zpskemkvl8p.jpg

So for your taper it would be 30MM on the small end with taper increase of 1MM in diameter per every 10MM of length.

Reactions: 18w
last time I cut a 10 to 1 taper the large diameter was 100 milimeters, however it wasnt specified on a print. I just had to make another shaft like the one i had. If i remember correctly, it was also 100 mm long.

OK so the taper on the end of the shaft I need to make is 30mm on the big end, 27mm on the small end, and 30mm long. I figured it to be an included ange of 5.72* with an angle per side of 2.86*. anyone care to check my math before I start making chips?

Back