Mill Collet Holder Attachement

When I made my nut, I cut the first one, put a 30 60 90 triangle against it and rotated it until the notch I'd just cut split the 60º side. Repeat five times. As one of my old mentors used to say, "That's close enough for the girl I go with."

Yours looks a lot better than mine, though, it's still metal colored.

Great work Pete, talk about thinking outside the box for a perfect solution. Pardon the novice question but, when you used the nut to index the shaft for splines, how did you attach it to the part to be sure that it would not move (turn) and screw up the indexing ? Thanks JR49

Initially I drilled and tapped one side of the nut for a set screw - but there really wasn't enough meat left in the nut for a solid thread and the bit of set screw that was left sticking out got in the way. So in the end I aligned two nuts on the shaft with it sitting on a flat surface and just put a drop of locktite in each hole I had drilled and left it to set. Held enough for the indexing and I just twisted them off afterwards.

IMG_2341s.jpg

In the setup in the photo there is actually a nut on the shaft at each end of the vice jaw and the vice is just used to hold it vertical, the horizontal height is set by the dead center and a block at the other end of the shaft.

Last edited:
Back