Milling machine chip guards

I did something similar. 1" thick Baltic Birch plywood stands with a dado to hold the plastic. Plenty of configuration flexibility.

View attachment 393633

While I was at it, I decided to put chip control around the back of the machine using 3/4" EMT conduit and HD shower curtains. This has worked exceedingly well.

View attachment 393634

View attachment 393635
Well, after using the face mill last time, I think I would consider a shower curtain as well. Chips go everywhere.

In case anyone cares, here's the shower curtain I bought - it's pretty HD and has stood up to some aggressive face mill sprays.

Rings are here:

Make sure you set up the rod so that the curtain isn't tempted to get sucked up in the X-axis handles under power feed. Actually, one of the first improvements I did to my mill was to install folding revolving handles on all the axis cranks.

IMG_3638.jpeg

Here is a link to those folding handles if anyone is interested.

Just a general word of caution on the use of plexiglass (acrylic) is that with any impact or stress and it will shatter, so fine as a chip shield but terrible as a safety shield if something goes flying. Polycarbonate (Lexan) is much more resistant to cracking breaking and would be suitable as a safety shield. I use 1/4" polycarbonate for my chip shields on the mill because I am always a bit leary of something letting go. I made a recent mistake of cutting some acrylic thinking it was polycarbonate and it shattered into pieces, stuff scares me. I made a lathe hand swarf shield using 1/2" Lexan, a bit tricky to warm and bend to shape, they wanted $200 for a metal one.Lathe Chip SHield.jpg

In case anyone cares, here's the shower curtain I bought - it's pretty HD and has stood up to some aggressive face mill sprays.

Rings are here:

Make sure you set up the rod so that the curtain isn't tempted to get sucked up in the X-axis handles under power feed. Actually, one of the first improvements I did to my mill was to install folding revolving handles on all the axis cranks.

View attachment 393912

Here is a link to those folding handles if anyone is interested.

Oh I want that!! I need to figure out what thread mine has... I will remove the handwheel, recondition, and replace that handle for the foldable one you shared. Very cool!

Handle-1.jpg
Handle-2.jpg

Back to normal programming... :encourage:

Last edited:
Have any of you successfully bent plexiglass for chip shields?

I tried for an unrelated project and made a royal mess of it. TIA

I've yet to copy @Janderso's chip guards, but think this will be my very next project! In the interim, I had to make this fast and dirty one out of lexan. Was fly cutting cast iron and decided I had to do something immediately! Figured out the Kurt vise hole spacing and hand drilled a couple of holes. Plopped in a couple of 3/8 screws and at least I wasn't being pelted. Had to mill down the piece from 2.25 to 2". Made the rest of the day so much better. That's aluminum foil on the table.
PXL_20220203_214031717.jpg
Now that the table is free, think I will make some of those holders. Today proved their worth!

Back