Minimum Computer Requirements for CAD

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Last edited:
This should be a sticky here (that can be updated as members notice requirement changes).

Thanks for compiling this. It could answer a variety of questions that often arise here.

This should be a sticky here (that can be updated as members notice requirement changes).

Thanks for compiling this. It could answer a variety of questions that often arise here.

Made it sticky. I’ll update as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s also Onshape. It’s cloud based and runs in a web browser. They even have a mobile version.

High end I5, don't worry too much about the graphics hw. An SSD instead of conventional hard drive. This seems to be the wisdom regarding Autodesk Inventor. A large, second monitor is of great benefit.

High end I5, don't worry too much about the graphics hw. An SSD instead of conventional hard drive. This seems to be the wisdom regarding Autodesk Inventor. A large, second monitor is of great benefit.

+1 on the second monitor. Someday...someday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Often people with poor CAD performance come to this forum to ask other members what they are running for operating systems and hardware. One of the first things you should do is to determine the minimum requirements before you install any CAD software. I've compiled a list of links below to follow to the CAD provider's minimum system and hardware requirements.

Autodesk Fusion 360
Autodesk Inventor 2018
3DS Draftsight
3DS Solidworks
FreeCAD
Sketchup
LibreCAD
TurboCAD
Onshape
OpenSCAD

You really should have "Qcad" here ! It runs on all platforms, Linux, Windows, Mac, and I believe Android.
I have used Qcad in preference to Autocad for a number of years. One of the big advantages, to me anyway, is that it can save in many formats including Jpeg's.

A couple things that may be different for Fusion 360 compared to most other cad systems . . .

Fusion 360 runs better using a FAST processor rather than one with a lot of cores. Use a 2 core 3.33 mhz processor instead of a 6 core 2.6 mhz processor.

Fusion 360 runs better using a GAMING type of graphics card rather then a workstation graphics card. Geforce/Radeon rather than a Quadro/FirePro.

(I am just repeating what I have researched. If someone more knowledgeable disagrees please let me know and I will edit this post).

Back