Mister suggestions wanted

twhite

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently acquired a Clausing Colchester lathe. It has a built in coolant system. I was thinking of modifying it to a cool mist type setup. I could also move it to my mill. My issue is compressed air. I only have a small pancake type compressor.

I was thinking of using an airbrush compressor. As you can see from the picture. I can most likely mount the compressor inside the coolant area. Then use the existing coolant tank to draw from

Has anybody used an airbrush or similar compressor to do this?

Looking for other ideas.
e830531af4d3de89a4b2a40fc01679f0.jpg

4da3bd68302bb1f51b5588a483766a93.jpg

On a neat side note. This lathe was originally sold by Lewis Machinery. Here in Burbank. Kind of cool it came back home after 50 years.

Tom

Cutting oil is my blood.

The small imported airbrush compressors on Amazon run in demand mode and are HVLP, basically mimicking the pressure and volume of an aerosol can. Seems like a pretty good application for that type of air pump. I like the idea of putting it in the sump space like that, very sanitary way of doing it. It would be pretty quiet, I imagine.

That is what I was thinking too. I also like that it might cut down on noise.

Off to Amazon to hunt down parts.

Cutting oil is my blood.

@twhite Just remember the warning about mist buildup in the workshop environment and why he added that hose to the business end of the airbrush ;)

I tried it. it worked. Too much aerosol for me. My cheap Chinese units don't mist until they are turned up real high. So they spit instead which I like better. If I want mist, I just up the pressure, or volume of air.

I recently went with a fog buster setup I'm very happy with it for my use. I was concerned about mess with any coolant system. The fog buster is typically set to the minimum amount of coolant and runs at a low regulated pressure.

It's all I've ever used so I can't really compare it to a proper mister. I was skeptical that it would still be a mess and have been very pleasantly surprised at how little there is to clean up after using it.

I've got a California air compressor and it handles it fine.

Back