Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Sorry, Bob. I meant to respond to this earlier but I got busy doing stuff for my wife; she doesn't understand that machining stuff is more important than getting the house ready for our annual Christmas party. Not done yet but I wanted to get to this before it cools.

You are correct, in part. One of the functions of back rake is to move the chip away from the edge and increasing back rake will accelerate chip flow but that doesn't affect how the chip breaks; it only affects flow. The same is true for side rake; the more side rake we have, the faster the chip ejects from the cut. The value of this is that it gets the chip out of the cut fast and that removes heat fast. This reduces work hardening and the occurrence of a built up edge so it is a big deal. However, the rake angles don't make a ductile chip break faster by themselves ... it requires a deep enough cut to do that.

A big cut produces a thick chip. As that chip hits the back of the ground part of the tool, it curls. Due to the thickness of the chip it tends to form cracks and with enough flow velocity, the chip breaks. Enough flow velocity is achieved with a high enough feed. Therefore, when you take a big cut at a high enough feed rate with an aluminum turning tool you will see chips instead of strings.

The raised chip breakers on carbide inserts work the same way. If you take a light cut with a carbide tool in aluminum, it will string. Take a big cut fast enough and the big chip hits the elevated chip breaker and the chip breaks. It isn't the elevated chip breaker that does it all; you need enough depth of cut and feed to make it work.

Now, consider what a grooved chip breaker does. This groove is sunken below the top plane of the tool. A ductile chip tends to flow right over the top of it and it has little effect. Well, at least in my experience it does. I have ground many kinds of chip breakers and did not find them of value but that's just me. I found that in order for a chip breaker to work I had to take a big enough cut with a fast enough feed rate ... but was it the chip breaker or the cutting conditions that caused the chip to break? I suspect it is the latter. In my view, a chip breaker has to alter the direction of flow in order for it to influence the chip so it has to be raised, not sunken below the plane of the tool.

So, this whole chip flow stuff gets a bit complicated, and the tool's geometry is only one part of it. The user has to know how to use the tool to best effect.

Oh, as for softer materials like brass and copper, a raked tool will work but it can dig in if the tool is not sharp. I know for sure that a Square tool will cut brass just fine but I will use a zero rake tool for brass in preference because of the finish it produces. A flat topped tool for brass will take a big cut and leave a beautiful finish, and I believe this has to do with how the chips break with that tool. Try a square tool and a flat top tool in brass and look at the chips. Compare the finish and the accuracy of the cut and you'll see the differences.

Anyway, this is all just my opinion on this stuff. I hope it hasn't confused you.

I know there are some grooving tools I can buy, but just for my own education...

I have a part in mind that needs o-ring grooves. Let's say it's for a -223. If I want to make an HSS tool to cut those on the OD, what does it look like?

My first thought is that it looks much like a parting blade. Wider at the top, tapering toward the bottom on the front and sides. Cutting edge the width of the groove or smaller, straight to make a flat bottom in the groove. Only sticking out as far as needed. Seems like a parting blade would work the more I think about it. But one could grind a similar profile into an HSS blank.

Material I have in mind is 6061 aluminum.

I know there are some grooving tools I can buy, but just for my own education...

I have a part in mind that needs o-ring grooves. Let's say it's for a -223. If I want to make an HSS tool to cut those on the OD, what does it look like?

My first thought is that it looks much like a parting blade. Wider at the top, tapering toward the bottom on the front and sides. Cutting edge the width of the groove or smaller, straight to make a flat bottom in the groove. Only sticking out as far as needed. Seems like a parting blade would work the more I think about it. But one could grind a similar profile into an HSS blank.

First you need to know what size grooves to make. They are critical to good results. Here's one:
http://www.qualityseals.com/pdfs/groovedesignandoringinstallation.pdf

You are right - an O-ring tool is just a grooving tool that is essentially the same as a parting tool. When I need an O-ring groove, I use a parting tool that is narrower than the required groove and cut it to the desired dimension. I don't bother grinding these tools - a P-type blade works as well or better. For internal O-rings, I use a carbide grooving tool that looks like a parting tool sticking out the side.

Thanks! I thought I might be missing something with the tool form.

So looking at the document Bob posted and the size charts, the example I used of -223...

It's a 0.139 width. So for a static application, I want a depth of 0.111-0.115 and a width of 0.185. With a slight radius on the corners.

Actual O-ring groove tools look like a parting tool but with a small inward bevel at the corners, like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBSGlJjYGIR3TTjGoobKFv93By5P96zqoMrevkWCW_zUEDJeN5Vw.jpg

Personally, I don't bother altering my parting tool but you could.

Soooooo,whats happening with the new cutting tools n models??? Who's had smashing sucess,,,who not so much?I've got some ceramic belts for my Horrible Fright sander,,,not sure its worth a glass platen,,,but gonna order a couple anyway. Inquireing minds wanna know

Mikey- Brino led me to this thread. What a GREAT addition to this already fantastic site! I have read the entire thread over the past few days, taken copious notes, and am shopping belt grinders, and building rests in my mind.
With your fine examples in both practice AND theory, I am confident I will be able to significantly improve my skills, and my projects. Some of your principles I innately understood, others I understood after digesting your theory. Many, many thanks to you, and those that have shared their experiences.
One question remains- did you ever make your living in this industry? If not, your dedication to improve, your powers of observation, and your refusal to settle for "close enough" are truly inspiring to this noob.
Thank you for your efforts in ANY case!

Mikey- Brino led me to this thread. What a GREAT addition to this already fantastic site! I have read the entire thread over the past few days, taken copious notes, and am shopping belt grinders, and building rests in my mind.
With your fine examples in both practice AND theory, I am confident I will be able to significantly improve my skills, and my projects. Some of your principles I innately understood, others I understood after digesting your theory. Many, many thanks to you, and those that have shared their experiences.
One question remains- did you ever make your living in this industry? If not, your dedication to improve, your powers of observation, and your refusal to settle for "close enough" are truly inspiring to this noob.
Thank you for your efforts in ANY case!

Wow, thank you, and thanks also to @brino for his support. This thread has grown beyond my expectations, primarily because of the great members who have participated in it and they have my thanks, as well.

While I tried to give enough information here to reproduce my personal tools, that was never the point. The point is to take what you learn here and go further to create tools that work better for you on your own lathes. We are seeing the beginning for a lot of the guys in this thread but it isn't the end. One day, they will wonder if they can tweak their geometry a bit here, a little there and that is where the real growth begins.

My privilege has been to be here at the start of that.

So, Jim, jump in and PM @Z2V to get the models in your hands. Give it a go and share your experiences with us. If I can help you, I will.

Mike

Wow, thank you, and thanks also to @brino for his support. This thread has grown beyond my expectations, primarily because of the great members who have participated in it and they have my thanks, as well.

While I tried to give enough information here to reproduce my personal tools, that was never the point. The point is to take what you learn here and go further to create tools that work better for you on your own lathes. We are seeing the beginning for a lot of the guys in this thread but it isn't the end. One day, they will wonder if they can tweak their geometry a bit here, a little there and that is where the real growth begins.

My privilege has been to be here at the start of that.

So, Jim, jump in and PM @Z2V to get the models in your hands. Give it a go and share your experiences with us. If I can help you, I will.

Mike

This is where the information and the reality hits the road.

I am only playing with 5/16 "key stock" and wish to report the following.

I NEED A BIGGER BELT GRINDER ........ I am using a 1x42 belt with a 1/3 hp....model from Lee Valley. As expected it is slow, you can actually cause the motor to go down to its starting mode/windings and the work table is a ***** to adjust and keep its adjustment.

The other major problem is that using zirconium blue belts the small piece of tape seems to be affected by heat and/or age and comes apart very very easily. In fact a new belt under tension for a few days, not even running, released on its own. I know I have bought new ones at Xmas but got them mixed with some of the old but new stock. I intend to experiment with crazy glue or fresh cuts strips of Gorilla tape.

Take me about 45 minutes to cut one bit, with dips in a water tub near by. Finally used the more expensive "Microfinish" plastic backed belt also from Lee Valley and that worked much better and belt held up and shows very little wear. Finally obtained a good left hand tool to my liking.
Finished the sharp edge with a hand held diamond honing tool that carefully gave me a nice thin line of light reflection.

Now I have not used it yet and for the first few ones I cheated and worked on 12 in long pieces of key stock. I is far more tolerant of heat build up with the extra mass.

Concerns....... if my set up is under powered the HSS bits and the special extra hard one "REX". (which I got for experimenting for bit to be used on the boring bars of my wood lathe) will be very time consuming.

some solutions I am considering short term....

Get my wooden stool from the barn so I can get comfortable and be more patient.

Try doing the rough cuts on the 6 inch General grinder that spins at 1750 ( primarily for the wood lathe tools).... it has a white Alum oxide and a green HSS wheel......than finish the surfaces flat with the belt grinder.

Also have a 8 inch 3/4 grinder at the barn that I may transplant to my basement shop as it would create less of an ark in the rough grinding with less correction for the belt grinder. I has both a fine grey and fine green HSS stone. That grinder I usually do not share in order to keep my stones well dressed flat. We have another 6 inch at the barn for gouging steel and I have given up dressing the center grooves done by others heavier handed operators.

Last short term solution....... I have purchased a separate grinding stand from Lee Valley that will allow me finer adjustment with the existing belt grinder.....much more steady and more likely to keep its setting when in use.

But if I am going to get serious about this......I NEED A BIGGER BELT GRINDER.... fortunately there are a number of styles and models for the DIY available on the web either as plans or heavily documented with Photos and I am good at marrying the best features of various designs. Main issue is sourcing parts such as wheels, belts, etc.

Any comments or recommendations are all welcomed. DO you have a favorite design or favorite features that should be considered??

Meanwhile, except for Mikey getting Sun burned, try to stay warm.

Bob C

Back