Morse Taper Mistake

Should I...

• ... Sell the MT3 DC and get an MT4 DC?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ... Sell the MT3 DC and get another MT2 DC and a MT4-MT2 adapter?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ... Keep the MT3 DC and get a MT4-MT3 adapter?

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

n9viw

Registered
Registered
I purchased a pair of dead centers on ebay recently. They were supposed to be MT4 and MT2, which would suit my 10R just fine. Only problem is, it was actually a MT3 and a MT2. The #2 I can use, the #3 I cannot, at least not without an adapter.

I'm torn as to what to do. I could easily get an adapter, but I wouldn't need it if I'd just gotten the right center. I could sell it and get an MT4 DC, but it's the only spot I could use it. I could get another MT2 DC with an MT4-MT2 adapter, which would also allow me to use the MT2 Jacobs chuck in the spindle.

Suggestions?

I went the route of a second MT2 and an adapter to use it in the spindle.

I purchased a pair of dead centers on ebay recently. They were supposed to be MT4 and MT2, which would suit my 10R just fine. Only problem is, it was actually a MT3 and a MT2. The #2 I can use, the #3 I cannot, at least not without an adapter.

I'm torn as to what to do. I could easily get an adapter, but I wouldn't need it if I'd just gotten the right center. I could sell it and get an MT4 DC, but it's the only spot I could use it. I could get another MT2 DC with an MT4-MT2 adapter, which would also allow me to use the MT2 Jacobs chuck in the spindle.

Suggestions?
Was it your mistake or the Seller’s?

Why a dead center for the head stock and a DC for the tailstock instead of a live center for the tailstock?

Keep the MT3 DC and use it to center parts on the faceplate and get a MT4 Dc & MT2 LC.

As Chazz says if the seller made the mistake they should sort it out , at least an adapter or replacement if possible.

Many of the china supplies on ebay will offer a partial refund, they haggle a bit mostly, I have noticed the first offer is often a bit poor.

Stu

Was it your mistake or the Seller’s?

Why a dead center for the head stock and a DC for the tailstock instead of a live center for the tailstock?

Keep the MT3 DC and use it to center parts on the faceplate and get a MT4 Dc & MT2 LC.
It was my mistake... for trusting the seller. Seller didn't know the taper, I asked him to compare to a MT chart. He sent back and said it looked like a 4. Should have just asked for the measurements.

It was an ad for two dead centers, I figured I could use them to do a between-centers turning of a test bar. Why not a live center? It's not what he was selling. I do plan to get a live center.

If I keep the MT3, I'd need an adapter, the spindle is MT4. That's the whole issue. If I had a MT4 DC, I wouldn't need the MT3 + adapter.

It was my mistake... for trusting the seller. Seller didn't know the taper, I asked him to compare to a MT chart. He sent back and said it looked like a 4. Should have just asked for the measurements.

It was an ad for two dead centers, I figured I could use them to do a between-centers turning of a test bar. Why not a live center? It's not what he was selling. I do plan to get a live center.

If I keep the MT3, I'd need an adapter, the spindle is MT4. That's the whole issue. If I had a MT4 DC, I wouldn't need the MT3 + adapter.
Even quite economy sleeves I've used have been very good. I've got a 2 to 3 sleve on my live center as I got it for my last lath.

You can also turn the tip in place to make it super on centre , I sometimes use a piece of rod in the chuck and re-cut the point for turning between centers so it's dead on.

Stu

If eBay, you have the message exchanges and eBay will probably honor a “not as described;” I’ve gotten free returns for that even when the listing said no returns or Buyer Pays.

Gotcha

All the more reason to push for a return.

Even quite economy sleeves I've used have been very good. I've got a 2 to 3 sleve on my live center as I got it for my last lath.
I had a cheap 2:3 sleeve that I found out the hard way wasn’t true. Replaced it with a more moderately priced one and checked eccentricity as soon as I received it; pitched the other one.

Just sold a MT4 to MT3 with the Dorian holder up at Cabin Fever :) If Matt can't help you out I'm sure I can .

Back