Morse Taper Mistake

Should I...

• ... Sell the MT3 DC and get an MT4 DC?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ... Sell the MT3 DC and get another MT2 DC and a MT4-MT2 adapter?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ... Keep the MT3 DC and get a MT4-MT3 adapter?

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I ended up buying a set of MT sleeves for the new to me drill press's MT 4.

Very Reasonable price, @ $16 for 3, but Have not had a chance to check concentricity yet, they claim ~.0006"

4.4 stars and they do look good and fit tight

Last edited:
Sorry about the delay, had to clear a path :)
Mt4 dead center and two mt4>3 adapters. $10 each for the two on the left, $5 for the one on the right. Shipping will be $10 up to whatever I can fit into a flat rate containerIMG_1126.jpeg

The one on the right looks a bit beat up?
I never pitch old or damaged tools, always a way to repurpose them into something useful for special jobs, in some cases, just as a drift
Have several R8 adapters for mill drill that got 'adjusted' for different things

Are you positive that your spindle is a MT4? The 10L has the size of a larger MT, but it is a proprietary size with a MT3 taper. I wasn't able to find out any info on the 10R native taper. Be POSITIVE about this BEFORE you do something important.

After the research I've done, including from SB's own documentation, I've learned that the bore of the 10R is definitely MT4. I also know that the MT3 DC I bought slides all the way through the spindle, its largest OD (0.938") being smaller than the 1" bore of the 10R spindle.

I also learned that the 10L spindle taper is reputed by some to be MT5, but actually isn't, as the diameter is similar but the taper is too short. It appears to be a SB proprietary taper, but the specifics of it I don't know.

Last edited:
I purchased a pair of dead centers on ebay recently. They were supposed to be MT4 and MT2, which would suit my 10R just fine. Only problem is, it was actually a MT3 and a MT2. The #2 I can use, the #3 I cannot, at least not without an adapter.

I'm torn as to what to do. I could easily get an adapter, but I wouldn't need it if I'd just gotten the right center. I could sell it and get an MT4 DC, but it's the only spot I could use it. I could get another MT2 DC with an MT4-MT2 adapter, which would also allow me to use the MT2 Jacobs chuck in the spindle.

Suggestions?
I always buy first #2 then #3.
The adapter is easy to come by..
Then use on smaller equipment too..
In retirement I keep all my #2 for my lathe and mill. Great for hobby work.

Dave

Back