Mortiser milling machine.

rf25/rf30 mills pop up quite often on face book market place , might be worth joining some of the second hand tool groups.

On a good day you can get one for less than £400

Stu

That Vevor Milling Table..... Garbage. It's not going to do what you want. They're pretty great for spotting holes on a drill press, visually, with punch marks and all, but they're not tight, not accurate, the leadscrews are inconsistent enough to make the dials useless.... They're pricepoint junk. A casting kit for you to finish yourself at best, but in practice there's not a lot of room to work with there.

I've watched some reviews. If you can re-work one of those tables into a serviceable tale for a mill, you already have a mill, lathe, surface plate, inspection equipment, etc. And in the end, the quality of the iron may not be good enough to justify the effort.

I've had one of those X/T tables for a long time. Last year I went over it an "improved it" as much as possible. Its fine for repositioning things on the drill press but would be a failure as a milling table. The screw threads have way too much slop.

To clarify, the mortiser has an R8 spindle? Also the VFD wont give you low end torque.

Good evening all. Having more ambition than money I am planning to build a homemade milling machine using a Vevor milling table and mounting it on a Sedgwick 571 mortiser. The motor is 380v 750w unit which I’m planning to run on single phase via a vfd and drive a r8 spindle. Has anyone else attempted something similar?View attachment 474975View attachment 474972View attachment 474973
I learned quite a bit from my project, and not all if it was to not attempt something like it again.

If anyone would like to skip the intermediate steps mine is available.

John
I really enjoyed reading your mill building journey John. Did it manage to turn out any good work in the end?

rf25/rf30 mills pop up quite often on face book market place , might be worth joining some of the second hand tool groups.

On a good day you can get one for less than £400

Stu
Unfortunately I’m living in Ireland Stu and secondhand bench mills are few and far between. I don’t have room for a full sized machine and wouldn’t have the work to justify investment.

I've watched some reviews. If you can re-work one of those tables into a serviceable tale for a mill, you already have a mill, lathe, surface plate, inspection equipment, etc. And in the end, the quality of the iron may not be good enough to justify the effort.
I don’t mind putting a bit of work in to get the table set up and for the €110 it cost it’s not a lot. Second hand tables never show up for sale here so I have to go with what I can get.

I've had one of those X/T tables for a long time. Last year I went over it an "improved it" as much as possible. Its fine for repositioning things on the drill press but would be a failure as a milling table. The screw threads have way too much slop.

Your correct about the slop in the lead screws, there’s more precision in a bowl of spaghetti. There is also the problem that the screw thread and nut is an oddball size. I’m hoping that if the ways are accurate enough that replacing the existing screws with an aftermarket kit from eBay ect.

Your correct about the slop in the lead screws, there’s more precision in a bowl of spaghetti. There is also the problem that the screw thread and nut is an oddball size. I’m hoping that if the ways are accurate enough that replacing the existing screws with an aftermarket kit from eBay ect.

Back