Most Productive Way To Mill Shaft

I for one would not classify a K & T #2H mill "not very heavy" yes, there are heaver mills, but you have a good one
Since you say that you are really new to machining, you just don't realize that You have a REAL (industrial) MILL! I am assuming that you have a K & T #2H
I agree that it is the smaller of the K & T line, it is soooooo much better for heavy work than many of the new mills coming in from the Far East. (I'm not dissing these mills). I have a VanNorman 22L and while it is a great milling machine and will move a lot of metal quickly, I think that your K & T is far and away a stronger horizontal mill.
What size arbors do you have for doing horizontal work? 1"? 1-1/4"? 1-1/2"?
I think they came with either a NMTB 40 or NMTB 50 taper in the spindle, do you have one of these?

Here is a youtuber and his model 2H

Is this the machine that you own? If NOT a model 2H, what exactly do you own?
Keith Rucker of Vintage Machinery . org just got a 2H up and running at the muesum. Here is Keith's YouTube page using a K & T
Keith Fenner of TurnWright Machine Works also uses a K & T for heavy work, I don't recall the size of his mill.

You want to set the machine RPM's slow for this, depending upon the of teeth of cutter you will use. I'm thinking under 100 rpm and could be as low as 50. Do you have a cobalt roughing wheel in hand? How many teeth, if not let us know what size horizontal cutters that you have, width of the cutter, diameter of the cutter and the number of teeth.

Mike

Last edited:
I for one would not classify a K & T #2H mill "not very heavy" yes, there are heaver mills, but you have a good one
Since you say that you are really new to machining, you just don't realize that You have a REAL (industrial) MILL! I am assuming that you have a K & T #2H
I agree that it is the smaller of the K & T line, it is soooooo much better for heavy work than many of the new mills coming in from the Far East. (I'm not dissing these mills). I have a VanNorman 22L and while it is a great milling machine and will move a lot of metal quickly, I think that your K & T is far and away a stronger horizontal mill.
What size arbors do you have for doing horizontal work? 1"? 1-1/4"? 1-1/2"?
I think they came with either a NMTB 40 or NMTB 50 taper in the spindle, do you have one of these?

Here is a youtuber and his model 2H

Is this the machine that you own? If NOT a model 2H, what exactly do you own?
Keith Rucker of Vintage Machinery . org just got a 2H up and running at the muesum. Here is Keith's YouTube page using a K & T
Keith Fenner of TurnWright Machine Works also uses a K & T for heavy work, I don't recall the size of his mill.

You want to set the machine RPM's slow for this, depending upon the of teeth of cutter you will use. I'm thinking under 100 rpm and could be as low as 50. Do you have a cobalt roughing wheel in hand? How many teeth, if not let us know what size horizontal cutters that you have, width of the cutter, diameter of the cutter and the number of teeth.

Mike
I just bought this mill along with 6 other machines from a tool and die shop that went out of business intending to keep one surface grinder and sell the rest. But now I sure don't want to get rid of them, but I don't have enough room in my shop.IMG_0405.JPG IMG_0406.JPG
I talked to a man who was complaining about the time it took to machine the flats on some shafts with a Bridgeport. Probably with an end mill. Any way, I thought I might make a few bucks building them for him. Seems like simple machining.
My K & T is a 3hp No2 model CE. Can't find much info on them but did find it was no.17 of 19 produced as of April 1957. It differs somewhat from the others I find on the net in that the motor and drive pulleys are on the left side and the speed selector is on the right. No clutch to disengage spindle (turn on switch and it turns)
No cutters as yet, just gathering info to determine if it is worthwhile to take on the shaft project.
Sorry, don't know how to turn images.
Thanks again

Back