Moving 12x36 Lathe Down Into Basement

Thanks guys. She's in the basement. Took a couple of hours in 96º sunlight but my brother and I got her down. Next it rolling her over to her resting place but first I gotta clean up the area better. I gotta say that that engine hoist I bought a couple of months ago has helped out again.... I love that thing! haha :)

I was going to suggest you take pictures, and post them here...

You know, whenever I remember to take pics it's either halfway thru or at the end. At the end was this case. What I did tho was take 3 pieces of 4x6 and lay them down the stairs. I mounted a board to the bottom of the lathe. Attached a lever type hoist and straps to the back of my pickup and the lathe and used the engine hoist to get her up and over the Bilko door bulkhead. Once the lathe was on the 4x6/stairs I slowly slid her down using the hoist. Once the front of the lathe reached the floor I was able to lift it just enough to get the small dolly under there. Same thing when the back (headstock end) reached the floor. After that it was easy getting it to where it's resting place will be.

Last edited:
Only thing I'll throw in is that it's really handy to have an electric winch with remote control - I've used a HF cheapie (typically $59.95 "on sale") with a wireless key fob remote control, locks when you let up, drove a 4x4 square steel pipe into the ground for anchor. Frees me to take a pry bar and help it along. For heavier loads, I just add another pulley and double the weight it can take.
In the basement, I ran a 12' piece of 3" ibeam from the scrapyard along the ceiling over my worktable, hung a HF electric trolley-winch on it, and used it to lift the mill-drill-lathe up over the table and past it and into position on its stand, and afterwards occasionally to lift heavy work and other machines (like a 30" brake/shear/slip role) onto the bench. It all worked great until the last time.... let me just say, I advise making SURE you have all the bolts out before you try to lift a machine off a stand embedded in concrete.

Nice to see it is in place now.

One more bit of advise for people reading through old posts is if moving something heavy be sure to take it apart to its smallest parts first. No sense in moving something heavier than it needs to be. Like taking out the drawers of a cabinet first.

Back