Moving An Atlas Mill

I don't use mine often - it is a secondary machine for me as I also have a vertical mill. But these have the auto feed which really helps when you have the chance to do 2 operations at the same time.
For the size they are quite capable and mine won't ever be leaving the shop! Parts are available second hand and as noted above - expensive! But these can keep your unit running!

I think the price isn't bad since they don't sound plentiful up your way. Let us know how you make out!

If you buy it, be sure that you carefully look around his place for any of the missing original parts that he may have removed and tossed into a corner, like the M1-9 Support Arm, M1-8 or M1-60 Arbor Support and any of the original Countershaft parts and belt covers.

What is the model letter and serial number on the nameplate? MF, MFB or MFC?

My Atlas is my only milling machine presently, and it's a work in progress. Sitting in the airport and on the plane I made notes from memory of what I need to do when I get back home. I mostly use it as a horizontal mill, using endmills held in collets. I hove a bodged up vertical head made from a Taig lathe spindle, and a pattern started for casting a new vertical spindle housing out of aluminum (maybe cast iron later), just need to get a couple more patterns made to justify firing up the foundry.

I use a DC motor and treadmill speed control to run the horizontal spindle. It's nice to dial in the speed, especially since I lack the original reduction pulleys. I intend to keep that arrangement, but will reproduce the necessary pieces for the backgear after I get back. I have a few tasks that require it.

It's an extremely capable machine, and can take surprisingly heavy cuts for its size and weight. With that said, remember that it isn't a big old Bridgeport.

Add a dividing or indexing head and tailstock, and it's a very nice machine for making gears, splines, etc. I recommend a couple of sets of 1-2-3 blocks, v-blocks, machinsts jacks, and a well stocked clamping kit. Some angle plates are also handy to have as well. If you have the capability to make one, a tooling plate is really nice to have (its on my to-do list) as the single t-slot can cause some "creative" clamping problems at times.

They're solid little machines, well suited for second operation tasks, MT2 tooling is inexpensive, and if well maintained and adjusted, accurate little buggers.

Just remember - *NEVER* climb mill on that machine. Ever. It will snatch the table, jam the cutter, and sometimes fling the workpiece out. I don't even climb mill a finishing cut of a thou or two with mine, because it did exactly as above. Ruined a nearly finished workpiece.

I think you'll like that machine.

Also, I forgot to mention, we have several Atlas Mill parts lists in Downloads. You need to get past 30 posts and be classified as an Active Member before you have access. But if you are still thinking of pursuing the mill, PM me your email address and I'll send you the one that covers all models.

I have to agree with getting the engine hoist and using it. Even if you get the cheap one, you'll be surprised how much you will end up using it to lift stuff. Get the kind that folds up easy and when you aren't using it, it doesn't take up much space. Test lift everything in a safe manner and keep it as close to the ground as possible when moving it around. I work by myself a lot and those things can be like having a couple of strong backs around....and they don't drink your beer.

I bartered a 4 part block and tackle rig that I have lifted a known 400#'s with. The 3/8's nylon woven rope is rated at 600#'s. It has a brakeing mechanism built in so when your load is lifted it is held suspended. It can be hung off of any rafter or over head beam in a matter of minutes, and there are no legs to trip over.
The down side is that once hung it is not mobile.:(

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Sooooooo ? did ya buy it or what ? Let's hear some more about your decision matrix please...

Back