Moving big equipment out of a basement...

We are getting a couple of 30F days coming up, so I'll be working like mad to close in the roof and turn on the heater!
Wow, you are one tenacious guy Dabbler! My steep driveway has been enough to give up on getting crazy about big machines. Much less -20f. We all get used to our situations I guess but the idea 30f is go time is kinda nuts. i hope it all goes well.

not ever having lived in a house with a basement, why would anybody ever make a basement without a bulkhead door? These machines would be hard enough if just sitting at ground level.
First thing I did when I bought my home was add a separate bulkhead entrance for machine and material egress. Some details are here if anyone is interested. I didn't put in stairs - just a 6x12 foot box with a bulkhead door over it so I can sling stuff in/out with forklift from above.

First thing I did when I bought my home was add a separate bulkhead entrance for machine and material egress. Some details are here if anyone is interested. I didn't put in stairs - just a 6x12 foot box with a bulkhead door over it so I can sling stuff in/out with forklift from above.
Having been a millwright and dealing with moving large machines, if it was my house, doing a bulkhead door would be the very first step. That going down steps with big chunks of iron just spells disaster to me. Everything to me is about what is the very first right step. Drives my wife crazy as she just wants to hire somebody and “just” get it done. To me that’s akin to magical thinking. I hate spending my hard earned $$ on what should go to buying machines, not logistics of a bad situation.

External access to basements, including bulkheads is almos unheard of in Canada. Even 'walk out basements' are viewed as wierd, and can actually lessen a house's appeal or sale value.

Humm - plenty of basements with bulkhead and walk-out in the Gulf Islands of Canada - my home on Pender had full walk-out. What part of Canada are you in?

External access to basements, including bulkheads is almos unheard of in Canada. Even 'walk out basements' are viewed as wierd, and can actually lessen a house's appeal or sale value.
wow, now that's bass akwards......

I lived in all over Southern Ontario for 25 years, and saw only one external basement access, but that old house had no staircase to the basement. I've lived in Calgary for over 40 years. There are a dozen walk out basements at a golf course near here, and they are 50K$ less thatn the ones that don't have the walk out.

I know, go figure, right?

walk-out in the Gulf Islands of Canada

May well be from influence of the nearby American houses that are built like that.... Or even houses owned by Americans - we have a lot of that around the west coast.

I lived in all over Southern Ontario for 25 years, and saw only one external basement access, but that old house had no staircase to the basement. I've lived in Calgary for over 40 years. There are a dozen walk out basements at a golf course near here, and they are 50K$ less thatn the ones that don't have the walk out.

I know, go figure, right?

May well be from influence of the nearby American houses that are built like that.... Or even houses owned by Americans - we have a lot of that around the west coast.
is there any possible drawback for a bulkhead door? or just silly stuff like "unsightly".

wow, now that's bass akwards......
not really. They are dealing with very low temps, so not exposing the house to more cold temp makes sense. The ground keeps things around 56 at least around here in NJ.. open it up to the elements and it gets significantly colder.

not really. They are dealing with very low temps, so not exposing the house to more cold temp makes sense. The ground keeps things around 56 at least around here in NJ.. open it up to the elements and it gets significantly colder.
not ever even having a basement I don't get this. A heavy insulated bulkhead is opening up to the elements? I for sure wouldn't be putting some flimsy thing on there, and for that matter an outside door then a door even with the wall of the basement would seem like the ticket, but of course I don't know nuthin'.

Back