music

I have followed several posts about music that led interesting places. All of them were good, a couple even very good. But the bottom line is that beating on a hollow log with a stick of stove wood is not what I would call the epitome' of cultural expression. Having worked in mills my whole life, my hearing, while fair, is not up to "high fidelety". I offer my take on music that when listening to with bad hearing played by an amateur on an instrument out of tune can still be pleasent. Piano to me is the ultimate instrument. There are times and places one cannot be used. Hence the guitar. . . An electronic keyboard is just a poor replacement.
A few takes, some amateur, some semi pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceX5jJ5fggs

Before I even took up an instrument I was fascinated by the many branches of music and reading old Guitar Player mags got into looking for origins or the trunks if you will. One of the many unsung hero's is Bill Monroe. The only person I know who's in the Rock & Roll,, Country and of course Bluegrass hall of fame. Here's his seminal Bluegrass Stomp recorded in '49, live by Ricky Skaggs with the Andy Statman trio.

Here's a relatively new group... After you listen, look up where they are from... you would not expect that...

I've gotta throw this in.. A new group from British indie band from the Isle of Wight. They haven't released their first album yet, and they are getting a ton of play on alternative rock stations. It's not your traditional Indie, it's got a throw back to the punk rock, and classic (a little). This is their most popular song, but the other songs on the yet to be released album are starting to get played a lot.

That one has a personal memory to me ever since it came out. In 1970, I was on a round bottom ship, we sailed down the west coast of South America, through the Straits of Magellon, and back around Cape Horn from east to west. A hard trip on any ship, on a round bottom hull it was "interesting" to say the least.

Having just come from Hallett Station, Antarctica and bound for McMurdo, there was a time that the ship was taking sixty (60) degree rolls. Not 30 and 30 side to side, 60 degrees off vertical. There was an inclinometer in the motor room where I stood watch that confirmed this while I watched.

In quiet circumstances, tied up to the pier in Long Beach, Ca., the ship rolled some 3-4 degrees from the swells in the harbor. At sea in the South Pacific 10-15 degrees was normal. In foul weather (a storm), 25-30 happened regularly. According to BuShips, a "Wind" class ice breaker can theoretically have her mast in the water (90+) and still right herself. I thank God I was not aboard when that theory was tested. Sixty was enough, thank you.

The "Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" takes me back to those days. And the wild rides in heavy weather. . . I KNOW what it feels like. We came home, they didn't. A sailor is a sailor anywhere, fresh water or salt water.

I love music obviously but music that tells a story became very powerful for me. It used to be instrumentals and then when I got into acoustic music and started singing it was the stories. It’s interesting that music is so powerful to the brain. Few things light up all synapses like music. Often it bypasses speech when that is lost.

A friend had a music collective where there were many different musicians he could draw on and could field an ensemble to play almost anything from classical to traditional Brazilian Choro. His mainstay was his saxophone player who was as accomplished as he. The sax player came down with what was diagnosed as mad cow and was basically paralyzed and couldn’t speak. But on a whim he took his sax in to the hospital and he said he was transformed. He played like they had for the decades they’d known each other. He went back every day and they would play for hours until he passed.

I'm pretty sure this fits most of us .. some from weight, others, well for other reasons.

Holy crap... just found this little girl... watched a few videos. There are some young kids out there that are awesome. I watched one where she was 9 years old, I think she's about 14 now.. but she plays the violin like a virtuoso.
And she has a great voice too. Apparently the family is musical, moved to the USA from Ukraine.. She is so talented.
https://www.youtube.com/c/KarolinaProtsenkoViolin/videos this is must watch.. Watch a few videos , you'll be impressed, even if it's not your type of music..

edit: in this one she is probably about 9..

Last edited:
Back