My Bench-Master and a back story

Thanks for all the likes guys , @markba633csi . I took the motor apart because I wanted to see the extra lines that were added to make the forward reverse switch work . It was a rusty corroded mess so off to land fill , good news the finance department cleared a new motor .
Anyhow for the new motor set up , I would like to use the old FR switch but wire it just forward . If that proves to difficult (for me) to understand I will settle for just a simple on off switch . Question , what hp motor will be sufficient ? It came with a 1/2 hp 1,735 . Would a 1/4 1,735 be ok ? Capacitor ?
Thanks , Mark .
Click on photo to enlarge .
IMG_1109 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_1107 by mark westi, on Flickr

Last edited:
Damn, I'd never heard of a Benchmaster before last weekend. Now I've seen three within a few miles of each other... Guy I just met in Los Alamitos has two. Must be an OC thing.

It's crazy , I have been looking for a Benchmaster for over 10 yrs. I got mine about 4 months ago . First though I bought a Pratt & Whitney 3C from this guy (that I didn't really want) and then he calls me a few weeks later and asks me if I want his Benchmaster .
The Benchmaster pictured , is one of the first Benchmasters made (IMO). First they were Duro , and had the "I" beam body and a smaller table with lever type handles . I think that when Benchmaster switched to Benchmaster from Duro , they were using up old parts .
http://www.lathes.co.uk/duro/
1681950869940.png

So just to review- the motor shown in post #8 is gone and you need to buy a new one? If so then I would say 1/2 HP, 1725 rpm would be a good fit for a machine that size. Even 1/3 would be ok too, if one falls into your lap. Ball bearing of course. Capacitor start preferred
Avoid the Dayton brand if you can, they can be difficult to reverse. I hardly ever use reverse on my mill though. Lathe yes; mill hardly.
The switch you have can be reused- no problem.
-M

Last edited:
The Benchmaster is now finished , the motor is the Grizzly 1/2 hp , capacitor start , ball bearing model , and it can be reversed . It came with a nice wiring diagram , it is very quiet . The vise is from the bay https://www.ebay.com/itm/165717112109 for 60 dollars I'm saying good . Beginning of this year I started the refurb , it consisted of a de-rusting , new paint , a new "Z" nut and a right angle Boston gear and bearings for the crank handle . New Timken bearings for the head . Also the stand cabinet has been beefed up , I still have to put doors on it . But it is now all functional . Yes I'm missing the front pully guard , those don't seem to be laying around . I saw on the web that some years ago a guy had a bunch of them cast in Aluminum , I'm hoping to work with someone to get one printed . Any comments / suggestions / questions would be appreciated . There is a serial number on the side , 52129 and the model number MV-1 . I'm wondering if the 52 is the year made and the 129 was how many made so far ?
My first project will be adapting travel indicators to "X&Y" .
Thanks for looking , Mark .
IMG_1139 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_1133 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_1134 by mark westi, on Flickr
IMG_1137 by mark westi, on Flickr

Back