My biggest project this past summer, 45' tower.

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've wanted a free-standing tower that would be easy and FREE to take down and put up. This was mostly for weather instruments but also a couple of TV antennas. A friend of mine gave me a 50' tower that was his dad's but when inspected it was in poor and dangerous condition. Water had gotten into the main uprights and froze, bursting them in many places. It was also bent pretty bad. So, I decided to make one from scratch. Other years I had rented a manlift to do work on the top, but now the price to rent has outpriced the usefulness of my hobby.

I ordered three 21' lengths of 1" black iron pipe from another friend who owns a fabrication shop and three lengths of 3/4" that fit inside the one inch. All of the cross pieces and bracing on that other tower from my friend were in very good shape as they were welded shut on both ends so water could not enter. I cut them out and ground most of them to the exact same length. Got much use of my new belt grinder https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/belt-sander-info-needed.105740/ (Start at post # 10). The bottom section flairs out at its bottom.

I made some identical wooden jigs to hold everything in place and started welding. MUCH WELDING AND GRINDING! Took about 2 weeks to fabricate and assemble the top and bottom sections. Then another week or so to fabricate the base with hinge mechanism, move to location and attach the 2 sections together. A few more days to remove the old wooden tower and dig and form the hole for the base. The base is shaped like a wisdom tooth with 5 roots. Two of the roots are 4' deep and the others 3' and they spread out at the bottom. There is lots of rebar used to make this strong and 6 bag redi mix.

To make this easy to raise and lower, I bought a dedicated winch and built pulleys and a jig pole, cemented in an anchor point for the winch and store all items together. The 1st time it was raised with a cable and my SUV with my wife driving but now I can do it all myself and only takes about an hour to set up and winch. Possible to do even when there is deep snow if necessary.

Thanks for looking.
Aaron

Removing old wooden tower
DSCF5154.JPG

Jigged up for welding
DSCF5123.JPG

Base with hinge
DSCF5126.JPG

Top section
DSCF5114.JPG

Hole with form and rebar
DSCF5133.JPG

Base
DSCF5140.JPG

Up view
DSCF5190.JPG

House view
DSCF5187.JPG

Nice build!

My dad built a 60' tower quite a few years ago. He used EMT conduit and pencil rod (1/4" steel rod). Bent the rod into the same zigzag as a standard roan tower. Then welded it together in 10' sections. Turned pipe to fit the EMT and bolted sections together. Supported at the ends, you could stand in the middle and it didn't flex. By the time I wanted to stand something up, we had collected around 150' of roan tower.

In my younger foolish days I helped putting up CB towers. Tallest was 150 feet. we did 10 foot sections at a time with the use of a gin pole. Now that I'm older I don't even like climbing a step ladder.

Back