My First Lathe - HF 9" x 20"

don't forget the top off the head stock there is are 2 oilers for the main spindle bearings.
Uh, you got the wrong lathe there mate, 9x20 uses grease in the spindle bearings and there are no external grease points.

Uh, you got the wrong lathe there mate, 9x20 uses grease in the spindle bearings and there are no external grease points.
The Grizzly G4000 has (or had) 2 oilers for the spindle bearings. Enco and maybe other iterations of the same 9x20 do not, and have greased / inaccessible bearings with no external lube points.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I am only fooling myself saying that I will get rid of this lathe since I have the other two...

So figured I would get an ER32 setup for it... Order placed

1705583932436-png.474741

Attachments

• 1705583932436.png
    1705583932436.png
    125 KB · Views: 154
I am only fooling myself saying that I will get rid of this lathe since I have the other two...

So figured I would get an ER32 setup for it... Order placed

1705583932436-png.474741
These ER collets are great for small work. I have an ER32 for my mini-lathe, and an ER40 for my G0602 10x22. The ER32 collets are way cheaper than the ER40's in my experience. It's great to be able to flip parts over without worrying about maintaining concentricity. I've had very good luck with the TIR on my sets.

I also went ER40 a while back and it is super handy, especially for turning balls because it doesn’t have the jaws etc sticking out.
I have ER40 on the larger lathe. ER32 in the Logan and, soon, also on this 9x20.

I also went ER40 a while back and it is super handy, especially for turning balls because it doesn’t have the jaws etc sticking out.

Backplate and ER chuck arrived.... Now I am scratching my head as to why in the world I did not go with ER40 across the board on all three lathes!!??

Backplate and ER chuck arrived.... Now I am scratching my head as to why in the world I did not go with ER40 across the board on all three lathes!!??
I’m in the same “hindsight is 20/20” dilemma often too. I’m never sure if it’s based on some little faulty piece of info I picked up somewhere or just inexperience. I do get blinders and get going in the wrong direction. With the ER40 I went that way because the ER32 didn’t go big enough for what I needed to do. So it was a leap of faith was all.

I’m in the same “hindsight is 20/20” dilemma often too. I’m never sure if it’s based on some little faulty piece of info I picked up somewhere or just inexperience. I do get blinders and get going in the wrong direction. With the ER40 I went that way because the ER32 didn’t go big enough for what I needed to do. So it was a leap of faith was all.
I am still looking at it… and I have eBay opened…

Let me sleep on it…

ER32 seems to be the most common size so there is more variety in ER32 accessories and options. ER32 also seems to be a little cheaper than ER40.

I have a set of collet blocks, and a spindexer in ER32. I now see ER40 collet blocks as an option but I don't think they were until recently, and I've never seen an ER40 spindexer.

I have several sizes though with the ability to use ER32 on several machines, ER16 on my Taig and Sherline, and ER50 on my 11" Powermatic / Logan. I have several chucks for the different machines, but share the same collet sets across them.

I might be collet crazy, because I also have MT2, 8mm watchmaker collets, Taig collets and 4NS collets. Lately I've been considering 5C...

Anyway going all ER40 works, but you may find benefit to having both ER32 and ER40 available to you.

Back