My Logan 12x24 lathe project

Discussion in 'SHELDON, LOGAN & ROCKWELL MACHINES' started by Rennkafer, May 11, 2013.

1. Rennkafer

Rennkafer Active User Active Member

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington
    I picked up a Logan 12 x 24 lathe in January just before I left for a 3 month work assignment in Japan. Had just enough time to clean the main machine ways and go over it to see what it needed before I left and ordered parts while I as gone. Found it on Craigslist, they guy had bought it intending to teach himself machine work, replaced the 440 3 phase motor with a 220 single phase (2hp), then never hooked it up. Sat for 8 years in his wood shop that way.

This is where I found it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit of cleaning got it to here, which is where I left it while I was gone...

[​IMG]

The last couple days I disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the taper attachment...

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tonight I started on the saddle/crosslide...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the day I got back from Japan I picked this up... because I need more projects :rofl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will be another thread though...

2. 110octane

110octane Active User Supporter Active Member

City:
    Pelham
    State:
    Alabama
    Nice find. Very light tailstock for a 12". Looks almost like a second operation lathe (or they had turret in mind). Logan is a good lathe. The headstocks are well designed.
    Enjoy! Geoff

3. Rennkafer

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington
    They did offer a couple other tailstocks for that particular machine Geoff, including a turret. This one is a little light duty but I mostly turn aluminum so it won't get worked very hard most of the time.

4. Rennkafer

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington
    Finished cleaning up the saddle and cross slide today and got them installed back on the ways with new wipers and the taper attachment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up... the compound. Pretty grungy like the rest of this thing, but in basically decent shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 110octane

City:
    Pelham
    State:
    Alabama
    A very nice machine! Geoff

6. robert1352

robert1352 Active User Active Member

City:
    cumming
    State:
    Georgia
    I wish we could see some more of this restoration,I would like to know how it turned out.

7. Rennkafer

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington
    It's currently in progress, Robert and the pics are up to date with what I've finished... I'll keep posting pics as I get more accomplished.

8. Old Iron

Old Iron Active User Supporter Active Member

City:
    Andalusia
    State:
    Alabama
    Nice job your doing on the lathe, The bridgeport looks like a real project.

Paul

9. Rennkafer

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington
    Thanks Paul, the lathe is coming along nicely. The mill... the column/knee are in decent shape as is the top of the head. The quill assembly needs a complete rebuild though, as some hack had a go at it before I got it. They weren't bright enough to pull the set screw on the bottom of the quill and took most of the threads off of the end cap (quill is fine, fortunately) and they'd replaced the bearings with regular ball bearings, not the correct angular contact bearings. I'll be making a large parts order on that machine, but I'll have a completely rebuilt head.

10. Rennkafer

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington
    More progress... compound disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and installed. Tool post cleaned and installed. Apron disassembled, and cleaning started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Rennkafer

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington
    Well now I really screwed up...

Thought I'd do a little paint touch up after reading some other threads on here, didn't like the results so I've torn everything back down again and started painting. I was really trying to avoid that, as I don't want a museum piece that I'm afraid to get a chip on. I compromised on it though, no stripping, just some scuff/sand to deal with the bigger chips and give the old paint some tooth then new over it.

Some results...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saddle is off now and in process along with all of the back/side covers on the head. Pics to follow.

12. 110octane

City:
    Pelham
    State:
    Alabama
    Looking good! I like the looks of the taper attachment.

13. Old Iron

Old Iron Active User Supporter Active Member

City:
    Andalusia
    State:
    Alabama
    I was wondering if you were going to paint it, It is looking a lot better now.

Paul

14. stevecmo

stevecmo Active User Supporter Active Member

City:
    Smithville
    State:
    Missouri
    Looks like you'll have a really nice machine when it's all done. Nice job!

15. Buickgsman

Buickgsman Active User Supporter Active Member

City:
    South Windsor
    State:
    Connecticut
    Thats some nice machinery you got there! I like that style taper attachment. It appears to be like the Heavy 10 taper attachment in that you can just tighten it up and start cutting a taper without having to mess with disconnecting the cross slide screw. Very nice!
    Bob

16. Rennkafer

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington
    Apron gearbox is all back together... fresh paint, replaced a couple fasteners that were obviously not original.

Before (ya I know it's upside down, makes it like the after though)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg Active User Active Member

City:
    Eastpointe
    State:
    Michigan
    A little paint does wonders! Good job, looks a lot better with a little paint.

18. Rennkafer

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington
    Thanks for all the good words guys, it's gratifying to see others appreciate what you've done.

Now for my next trick... the disassembly/clean/paint of the quick change box. As you can see in the photos, the wood dust in this thing is just pervasive, which isn't really surprising given it was in the PO's wood shop for 8 years (sitting in the corner not running). I found a couple things wrong that I'll have to fix, the shaft the handles run on is somewhat buggered up, and one of the 22 tooth gears in the handles is missing its cast in "key" that runs in the shaft. Priced the parts already from Logan... not cheap but at least I can still get them unlike some of the other older lathes. I'm trying to decide how to paint the front at the moment, the grooves leading up to where the handles lock in obviously take some abuse so I may polish those areas up a little and leave them bare.

Pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. 110octane

City:
    Pelham
    State:
    Alabama
    Not a great deal of wear. For my two cents of suggestion (please feel free to ignore as you deem fit) - I like your idea of polishing the groove tracks for the levers. I removed my threading chart by gently hitting the drive brads with a flat round punch. I tapped the casting for small (#5?) screws and replaced the drive brads with small brass screws. I locktited those just for safety,\.
    Geoff

20. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg Active User Active Member

City:
    Eastpointe
    State:
    Michigan
    The gearbox looks pretty good, I've seen far worse, mine was dirtier. The fact that you can get new parts for your machine is pretty cool, saves a lot of time. If I was going to tear the gear box down I might just go ahead and replace the bushings while I was in there, especially if I could just order them up. I am enjoying watching what you are doing to this lathe.