My oddball project

Chucketn

Toxic Lunatic & Psychotic
Registered
I have seen many extol the virtues of collets and colletblocks for various operations. I only have R8 collets. Quite a while ago Iasked on several forums about the possibility of making R8 collet blocks for Hex and Squarefeatures. I mostly got giggles, ridicule, and in general laughed at.
Then, a fella called Davyboy just went ahead and made some.Some folks even applauded the idea. Then the subject of dividing/indexing headscropped up. This reawakened in me the interestin R8 collet blocks, and spindles.
I decided to go ahead and make an R8 collet block forseveral reasons. I wanted to, I had a use for one, and making a collet blockwould be a good practice for making a spindle, whatever the taper.
So, over the last couple of days, I set about measuring,studying, researching, and finally making a R8 collet block.
My collet block started out as a piece of 1 ½” brass Hex.Why brass? I was the only material I had that was big enough to make a R8collet with, that stood a chance of being useful.
First I cut a 4 ½” length of the brass hex, and faced theends. As my 3” chuck was near its limit chucking the 1 ½” hex, and only withthe outside jaws, I turned 1 ¼” of one end round, allowing me to use my 4” 4jaw self centering chuck to hold it. I drilled it through 7/16”, bored to a close fit on the R8 collets,and then bored the 16° 51’ closing angle. I added a pin to fit the key slot onthe collets. I even had to make the closing bolt as I didn’t have a 7/16 x 20bolt in my collection, and I wasn’t going to town for one bolt. I turned downand single point threaded a bigger bolt I did have.
As I was drilling the hole for the key pin, I realized Iwould not be able to mill square from round stock. I milled ½” wide flats on 2opposite sides of the hex, effectively giving me the ability to create squares on round stock.
All in all, I made a tool that may not last as long as I do,and may not get a whole lot of use. But, I did it. I gained invaluableexperience to guide me in making an R8 spindle for the Dividing/Indexing headwhen I make it. It also showed me the limitations of some of my tools, and howto work around them.
Pictures here: http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/library/R8%20Collet%20Block
Chuck

No, Andy, I haven't used it yet. Soon, though. I have a project in mind, but need to get some material together. Stuff that is locally available and doesn't use up all my allowance!
Chuck

It looks good! In the future dont let the nay-sayers hold you back. Im also considering duplicating this project when the right material comes my way.

Chuck, I like the flats for use as a square. I added it to my project list with a note to that effect. I made an R8 spindle for a tool and cutter grinder, so this should be practical.

Back