Thanks for the tip on the holes in the stand. It's info from you and others who have worked with the PM-45M before that has given me the confidence to jump into the deep end (yes, I have some prior experience using a Bridgeport and other machine tools, but it's a different story when you're setting things up in your own shop).

One question that I should have thought of before hoisting the mill - the swivel fitting that I used has a rated capacity of 1540 lbs. while the mill probably weighs about 950 lbs. Did I allow for a sufficient safety factor with the swivel? Should I have rigged a secondary sling to the end of the crane "just in case"?

IIRC the 3/8" split links also have a rated working capacity of over 1500 lbs. The sling is rated for 6400 lbs, and the shop crane was set to the 1 ton position, so those working capacities have much more breathing room.

With what I had laying around, this is what I did. Worked better than I was thinking, I was hesitant to do so. Still need to mill the T-nuts for the clamping kit I have so I just went this route.

Do you remember the details of the clamping kit T-nuts that you have?

My caliper claims that the slots are just under 9/16" wide, so I suspect that I will need to get a kit with 1/2" T-nuts. Did you get the clamping kit from Quality Machine Tools or from somewhere else?

They offer a clamping kit at Harbor Freight that supposedly has 1/2" clamps, but whether that 1/2" dimension applies to the T-nut width is unclear (http://www.harborfreight.com/58-pie...ch-16-nc-studs-1-2-half-inch-clamps-5952.html).

Edit: The manual says that the slots are 14mm in width. So, that's about 50 thou greater than 0.5" (but since the clamping kits come from China, maybe they are actually metric and the 1/2" size is simply somebody's idea of a proper units conversion.

Last edited:
Rigging and lifting is both a science and art. I always consider at least three things when it comes to selecting the tools for the job. 1) Does it meet rated spec? 2) Is there any chance there will be an impulsive "bounce" during the lift? 3) It it in good, up-to-date condition and do you trust it?

#1: If I need to lift shop equipment with a strap, I use a strap that's at least 75 to 100% over-rated. Same goes for shop cranes etc.
#2: If it's smooth easy lift from the floor to a table I'm more comfortable with just 75% over-rated equipment. If there's any chance the item will swing or bounce you need to use the heaviest stuff (within reason) you can.
#3: I had a couple of my favorite lifting straps get soaked in kerosene. Not knowing if it could effect the material or the stitiching, I cut e'm in half and threw them away. And related to this, when I purchase a new strap (or other piece of crane equipment) I don't use it at rated capacity on the first lift. I gradually use it on progressively heavier items until I develop a trust with it.

And for the record, overhead lifting is off limits for me. And suffice it to say, when you've got something heavy in the air, you keep all parts of your body out of the drop zone. If you need to say, put your hands underneath it to align bolts, put strong wooden blocks at least as thick as your hand underneath.

Ray

#1: If I need to lift shop equipment with a strap, I use a strap that's at least 75 to 100% over-rated. Same goes for shop cranes etc.

Thanks...

By that standard, I was a little bit on the shy side with the 1500 or so ratings of the split links and the swivel fitting. My big strap (and my shop crane) was more than adequate. So it might have been a good idea for me to have added a strap that didn't depend on the swivel or split links. Not sure how I would have rigged that, though - maybe by drilling a hole near the end of the shop crane arm and putting a suitably-rated eye bolt through it to make an anchor point for a second strap.

Do you remember the details of the clamping kit T-nuts that you have?

My caliper claims that the slots are just under 9/16" wide, so I suspect that I will need to get a kit with 1/2" T-nuts. Did you get the clamping kit from Quality Machine Tools or from somewhere else?

They offer a clamping kit at Harbor Freight that supposedly has 1/2" clamps, but whether that 1/2" dimension applies to the T-nut width is unclear (http://www.harborfreight.com/58-pie...ch-16-nc-studs-1-2-half-inch-clamps-5952.html).

Edit: The manual says that the slots are 14mm in width. So, that's about 50 thou greater than 0.5" (but since the clamping kits come from China, maybe they are actually metric and the 1/2" size is simply somebody's idea of a proper units conversion.

Yes, the slots are 14mm. I have the 5/8" set which came from Matt. He gave it to me for free but he said they sent me the wrong set by accident. The 1/2 set is what you would need if you don't want to do any machining to the T-nuts. TE-CO does sell a 14mm kit but they are expensive. If I had to buy myself I still would have gone with the 5/8" set. I prefer the larger 1/2" studs over the 3/8" studs that the 1/2" kit uses but the 3/8" studs would do just fine too.

Not hard to machine the T-nuts, there are 6 of them in my kit so I just milled 3 at a time in the vise. I have 14mm T-nuts that I use for my vise & super spacer so I just copied the dimensions from them. 0.540" for the top width, .876" for the bottom width, & .296" for the depth from the top of the nut.

I bought some 1/2" T-nuts from the local Grainger store today, picked up some 3/8-16 socket-head cap screws and some washers from Ace Hardware, and mounted my 6" Shars vise on the table (I will have to set up a dial indicator to get it square, but I'm just playing with it right now). As others have noted before, a 6" vise is a bit on the large side for this mill table, and maybe a 5" one would have been a better choice, but it will have to do for now.

I had wanted to pick up a 1/2" clamp kit from a nearby Harbor Freight store, but apparently they don't stock the clamping kit in the store, so I ordered it from their web site instead.

A few more startup questions, if you don't mind.

First, unlike my mini-mill, I did not see a whole lot of protective "glop" slathered everywhere - rather, it is mainly visible on the X-axis scale at the front of the machine. Should I be cleaning it out of the T-slots of the table as well? Is there anywhere else that I have missed that needs to have it cleaned off?

Also, although I see the warning printed on the head about changing the spindle speed only when the machine is stopped, I don't seem to be able to get the right-hand gear shift (2, 3, 1) completely in gear when it's stopped, even with partially rotating the spindle by hand as I am moving the lever. Is that normal (and do you need to start the motor running to get the gears completely meshed)?

It looks like the black screw-in handle at the front, lower right of the head is a quill lock. I was hoping that there might be a spindle lock to make it easier to handle the drawbar, but I can't seem to find one - am I missing it somehow, or is there no spindle lock? Also, I haven't yet found any Y-axis locking handles, but I haven't done an exhaustive search yet.

First, unlike my mini-mill, I did not see a whole lot of protective "glop" slathered everywhere - rather, it is mainly visible on the X-axis scale at the front of the machine. Should I be cleaning it out of the T-slots of the table as well? Is there anywhere else that I have missed that needs to have it cleaned off?

Also, although I see the warning printed on the head about changing the spindle speed only when the machine is stopped, I don't seem to be able to get the right-hand gear shift (2, 3, 1) completely in gear when it's stopped, even with partially rotating the spindle by hand as I am moving the lever. Is that normal (and do you need to start the motor running to get the gears completely meshed)?

It looks like the black screw-in handle at the front, lower right of the head is a quill lock. I was hoping that there might be a spindle lock to make it easier to handle the drawbar, but I can't seem to find one - am I missing it somehow, or is there no spindle lock? Also, I haven't yet found any Y-axis locking handles, but I haven't done an exhaustive search yet.

My mill was not heavily covered in cosmoline (or whatever they use) like my lathes. My table & Z column dovetails/ways were covered with a brown waxy type paper which is commonly for machines tools to come wrapped in. I'm glad & the painted surfaces don't really require to be covered in cosmoline so clean up was easier. My lathes were heavily covered in cosmoline so clean up was much more time consuming. But I don't mind if it had been covered heavily as I wouldn't want any rust. I have seen cases where new machines arrived with rust. The only area that I discovered that has a considerable amount of more cosmoline is the machined top surface of the base under the table. I did not bother to clean off all the cosmoline found under the chip guard for the Y axis, it would rarely be seen so it's better left there IMO for protection but that's the user's preference.

With most any gearhead machines, switching gears is not always perfectly smooth. If you don't feel a proper gear change when moving the lever, as you are doing, turn the spindle by hand a bit until you feel that it meshes properly. It should be very smooth when it meshes properly, at least my mill is. NEVER EVER attempt to make a gear change with the spindle under power on a gearhead machine. The only exception is the like the gearbox on my lathe. The geabox changes can be changed with slightly faster rotation (as when the spindle is coming to a near stop) but never under full spindle speed.

If you feel it's not as smooth as it should be, it may get better after a break in & oil change. Not sure if yours was filled by Matt or the factory. I think Gary mentioned that his batch was overfilled so be sure to check the oil level before any real use. Mine was filled at the factory with who knows what oil (and coming from Matt as well), it was very dark compared to Mobil DTE that I normally use. Run each speed for 10 mins or so in forward & reverse. Then change the oil. Some will recommend changing the oil after many more hours of use but I prefer to put in an oil that I know what it is "sooner than later" & to flush out any debris or shaving left over from the manufacturing process if any. Also be sure to check for head temperature during break it. It should never get warmer than warm to the hand. In the rare case if you feel that it gets pretty hot then something may definitely be wrong & I would contact Matt for advice before running any further. Mine ran much quieter & smooth after break in & oil change. YMMV.

If you have the power downfeed model, your quill lock should be on the right side of the head towards the front. If you have the non-PDF model, the quill lock handle should be on the face/front of the head. Some RF-45 clones have the quill lock on the left side. You are correct, there is no easy accessible spindle lock. I rarely ever need a spindle lock though changing the R8s. It's not necessary to tighten the heck out of the drawbar, a firm tug on the wrench should be more than efficient. As long as the R8 taper seats well with your arbor/collet, the taper should have a good enough seat. Loosening the drawbar is the same way for me, an abrupt tug is all that is needed to loosen the draw bar. Putting the head in a lower gear helps loosening & tightening.

But in the case where you do need something to hold the spindle to loosen the draw bar, there are a few options that I will mention (but there's more). You can make a simple spline wrench for the top of the spindle. I just bought one on ebay here. Not the greatest made but it's cheap & does the job well. Just remember to treat it like your chuck key, never take your hand off of it until you set down on the table or whatever.

Another option, if you have the same style drawbar that came with my mill, it's designed so you don't need a spindle lock. Unlike conventional drawbars, mine has two nuts, one dynamic/adjustable & one that is fixed with the drawbar. The dynamic nut is used to tighten the drawbar. While the drawbar is tightened with an R8 arbor in the spindle, the fixed nut on top allows to to use a wrench to hold the drawbar/spindle while you use a second wrench on the dynamic nut to loosed the arbor. You can see what I mean in post #22 of this thread where I made a replacement drawbar in the same style. Pic 6 of that post shows a glimpse of the spline/spindle wrench I mentioned.

Another option is to get a product called Spindle-Lock. It's looks to be a nice product, comes in different colors, & makes locking the spindle easy. But IMHO it's a bit overpriced, well at least more than what I'm willing to pay & I'm not afraid to spend money on tools. Says it bolts right on with no modifications needed. One could easy make it into a project & make their own. If you do or get this, please post pics!

Another more complex solution is to make a powerdraw but i won't get into that.

Axis locks are normally placed on the gibs. The Y-axis locks are on the right side, if you look under the table you will see the two leaf screws, those are for locking the Y-axis. You can see mine in post #35.

Ok, that ended up being much longer than I anticipated, I'm tired, beer time.

Very informative post (as usual), thanks...

I do not have the power downfeed model.

I will order one of those spline wrenches - looks like it will do the trick.

Very informative post (as usual), thanks...

I do not have the power downfeed model.

I will order one of those spline wrenches - looks like it will do the trick.

I have one of those wrenches from ebay, but I never use it anymore. It's a lot faster to just flip the switch to put in low gear and give it a quick tightening.

Gary

Just got a PM45M-PDF and this thread has lots of great info! Especially good inputs from DarkZero and Gary K. My question is about lubing this thing. The owners manual is less than desired in identifying the parts that need lube for an extreme Nooby like me. Specifically the Internal Spline Assembly, Quill Return Spring and Quill Pinion mentioned in the Lubrication section. I need to identify these parts, where to lube them and what to lube them with. I currently have Quickslide 68 that I used on the ways and the quill. There is a brass colored piece with a cap on the right side of the PDF, is that a lube point? Gary you mention you tighten the drawbar in the low gear? Just against the tension of the gearing? Are the nuts on the drawbar 17-18 mm? Thanks for any help! Skeeter

Back