My PM935-TS Thread

That is a very nice machine. Had no idea they carried something like that. Only issue I see is X table movement - for me, I'd like to use a mill to do valve guides/seats/etc and 24" doesn't seem like enough travel. A 351C head is about 20" long.

That is a very nice machine. Had no idea they carried something like that. Only issue I see is X table movement - for me, I'd like to use a mill to do valve guides/seats/etc and 24" doesn't seem like enough travel. A 351C head is about 20" long.

Chris, just out of curiosity how much X travel does your G0704 have? Are you able to do head valve jobs with it?

The big draw for me on this mill was the fact that it was a knee mill vs. benchtop and also due to its' Taiwan origin. When I was looking at upgrading, most of the benchtop mills I looked at only had approx. 8" of Y-axis travel and around 20" of X-axis travel. This mill has 12" of Y and 24" of X travel.

I thought about V-8 heads as well however, most of what I machine anymore is a motorcycle engine case at the large end of the spectrum. I came to the conclusion that anything much larger I would have to do half and then reposition to do the other half. It should work fine if care is taken to get it positioned accurately.

Mike.

I would get a minimum 9x49 to do seats with a belt pulley head and a VFD as you will want to go below 50RPM to lower the chatter cutting seats. Then you can also get a 10" HQT face mill and surface heads to a single digit RA finish. You will have to spend a chunk on a good fixture though and it takes a ton more time than an air float seat and guide as each valve pilot has to be perfectly centered to the spindle to work.

>Chris, just out of curiosity how much X travel does your G0704 have? Are you able to do head valve jobs with it?

It's about 32" which is not enough. Also, I don't think the G0519 has the accuracy or table rigidity to do any serious head work. I could maybe cut/tap for studs on an inline head but for a poly angle head like a 351C, I think I really need a head that nods. I might get around that with a fixture - thinking about it.

I would get a minimum 9x49 to do seats with a belt pulley head and a VFD as you will want to go below 50RPM to lower the chatter cutting seats. Then you can also get a 10" HQT face mill and surface heads to a single digit RA finish. You will have to spend a chunk on a good fixture though and it takes a ton more time than an air float seat and guide as each valve pilot has to be perfectly centered to the spindle to work.

Exactly. Done a bunch of research on it and looked at Bill Jones pages, along with PM and SpeedTalk. CPM sells a killer fixture for close to $2K. Precision Measure sells one more affordable - $700. I have an open option to buy an older Tobin cylinder head bench, but for the money asked I could have a 9x49 mill with more versatility. Small shop usually has more time than $, so doing a few heads on the side here and there would work out. Not a production setup by any means. That 30% coupon used on the 12x36 could have brought a 9x49 variable speed 3 Phase Turn Pro in here for just under $5K. OR - go chase a decent BP in the $3K range and clean it up. Cost effective? LOL. But I'd like to be as independent as possible. Her - "What can you do with it?" "Not sure what I'll get to do, but there's a billion things I can't do if I don't have one".

I had a G0519 for a few years. I agree that it's accuracy probably is inadequate for that type of work. I was able to get the gibs adjusted so that the table was pretty good; however, I could never get the quill slop removed.

Jerry in Anchorage

>Chris, just out of curiosity how much X travel does your G0704 have? Are you able to do head valve jobs with it?

It's about 32" which is not enough. Also, I don't think the G0519 has the accuracy or table rigidity to do any serious head work. I could maybe cut/tap for studs on an inline head but for a poly angle head like a 351C, I think I really need a head that nods. I might get around that with a fixture - thinking about it.

Chris, does your benchtop mill really have 32" of travel? I thought the table was 32" with something like 8" Y-travel and 22~ish for X-travel. Or am I thinking of a different machine?

I too contemplated a 9x49 mill and I could have probably stuffed it in my 34'x34' shop but something would have to give and I wasn't prepared to give up any more floor space for tools/equipment. I hope I don't end up regretting not getting something larger one day but for the most part I was looking for something similar to the Jet JVM836 size wise so the PM935 should be perfect for the motorcycle work that I do and the small amount of automotive lately.

Oh, I just got word that my mill landed in Salt Lake this morning and I was trying to arrange for an afternoon delivery today but they didn't have any lift gate trucks available until Tuesday. Seems to be a four more day wait.

Mike.

Call them again and beg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call them again and beg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No such luck. I begged and pleaded but they had no lift gate trucks available. I thought about having it delivered to my place of work where I have a dock but I really didn't have any way of unloading it from my trailer into my shop after getting it home and to be honest, really didn't want the hassle of dealing with it at work.

I just agreed to have them deliver it Tuesday afternoon. I guess I have waited 5 months what is another 4 days.

Mike.

Chris, just out of curiosity how much X travel does your G0704 have? Are you able to do head valve jobs with it?
It's about 32" which is not enough.
G0704 mill has a 7-1/16" x 26-5/8" table, with 6-7/8" (Y) and 18-7/8" (X) travel.

The 935TS is a monster compared to the G0704.

Whether or not the 24" X-travel that the 935TS gives you is enough for a valve job of course depends on your engine, but probably is sufficient for most.

I had a guy I know with a Hiab drop mine off in the back yard. Only problem was he could only get it over my fence, but I was determined to get it in the door. This is after a finally dragged it in....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u16ApXHqJc&list=UUQvC9Dyy9M_E6qr3pzCsNZg

No such luck. I begged and pleaded but they had no lift gate trucks available. I thought about having it delivered to my place of work where I have a dock but I really didn't have any way of unloading it from my trailer into my shop after getting it home and to be honest, really didn't want the hassle of dealing with it at work.

I just agreed to have them deliver it Tuesday afternoon. I guess I have waited 5 months what is another 4 days.

Mike.

Back