My QCTP.....as I mentioned before

Hi ya again Brian,
I wouldnt mind having a look at the plans.......

Cheers Phil

Hey, Phil. Here's a link to the page I found this on. If you click on the P in the square at the bottom of the page, it'll open
up a PDF file. The couple things I changed...I left off the stop pin, the plunger lock and threaded insert I threaded for 3/8"-16,
the locks for the tool inserts I changed to 1/4"-20, and I also went 1/4"-20 on the stop posts. I went to 1" on the stop discs
instead of what was listed. And, I also changed the main post and hub to 3/8"-16. I think that's about it. If anything else comes
to mind I'll let you know.

http://home.comcast.net/~cburg/toolpost.html

Brian

Nice job for sure. They look like they are made from steel and not aluminum. What about sanding them down and hitting them with some Hammertone paint, or using some gun blue on them? Whether plain or finished, nice job non-the-less. I bookmarked the link for one of my future projects.

Nice job for sure. They look like they are made from steel and not aluminum. What about sanding them down and hitting them with some Hammertone paint, or using some gun blue on them? Whether plain or finished, nice job non-the-less. I bookmarked the link for one of my future projects.

Good eye. Biggest change I made and forgot about it completely. The plans did show them as being made from aluminum. I did go the route
of making them from steel, as I didn't like the idea of using aluminum. The more I look at them, they do look not quite finished. A little cold blue might be the way to go.

Brian

Brian

Did you make them to an industry standard so if needed you can get tool holders or if you tripped over a deal on some they would fit?

Looks good.

Walter

Brian

Did you make them to an industry standard so if needed you can get tool holders or if you tripped over a deal on some they would fit?

Looks good.

Walter

Walter. I'm not really sure what the industry standars are as far as measurments go. I more or less followed the prints and tweaked
them to what suited my liking.

Brian

Walter. I'm not really sure what the industry standars are as far as measurments go. I more or less followed the prints and tweaked
them to what suited my liking.

Brian

OK

So if you have a friendly metalworking neighbour that has a QCTP, see if one of his will fit onto yours.

I standardized on the BXA system for my lathe 14x40, Search "Vee" or "Dickson" and you will find the posting on where I was comparing the different styles and the one I ended up with, but you would be probably better off with the AXA being on a 10X lathe. If an AXA holder will fit your post it will make it easier to get holders in the future, if you choose not to make them yourself.

Walter

Back