My Shop And New To Me Machines

Elmo

Registered
Registered
I mostly have my shop built. It is 24'x 40'. I have acquired a few machines. I have a Craftsman 109, a South Bend 9", an Enco 13 x40 gap bed lathe and an Enco mill drill. The SB And Craftsman are still in storage. I moved the Encos in this week but haven't leveled and mounted them yet. I haven't ran a lathe in 50 years until today. I just had to try the lathe so I threaded a piece of 1/2" drill rod 20 tpi. Wasn't bad for the first time in a long time.

image.jpeg

That is a nice size shop. I am sure you will enjoy your time in there. thomas s

Elmo,

Congratulations on the new shop! I share your thrill, as I am putting in a new shop now (but about a third of the size). I must say a very nice thread.

Have fun.

Tom

p.s. Also nice pipe!

image.jpeg image.jpeg
I mostly have my shop built. It is 24'x 40'. I have acquired a few machines. I have a Craftsman 109, a South Bend 9", an Enco 13 x40 gap bed lathe and an Enco mill drill. The SB And Craftsman are still in storage. I moved the Encos in this week but haven't leveled and mounted them yet. I haven't ran a lathe in 50 years until today. I just had to try the lathe so I threaded a piece of 1/2" drill rod 20 tpi. Wasn't bad for the first time in a long time.

It is a Petersen Mark Twain and I love it and it's two brothers.
Elmo

When I decided to get back into machining, I started with a couple of little sherline machines. You decided to skip a few of my steps. Wish I'd done that.

Do you have any specific goals in mind (I get asked this every time I buy a machine) now that you have your machines, or are you just going to 'wing it' and make whatever pops into your head?

Well I didn't exactly skip any steps. My first lathe was a craftsman 109. I could pick it up and walk with it. Then I was given a really good 9" Southbend lathe made in 1951.
I an going to use my machines to make tools and parts and work on guns just for myself. I don't intend to get another FFL and work for the public because I probably don't have enough time left to even do my own stuff as I am 69 this year.
Right now I am making a mandrel for an 8" bench grinder. I know the dangers of a mandrel grinder and am willing to take the risks. I do not need all the safety gurus on here to lecture me, rant over!
I guess your last sentence describes me perfectly. I do have a couple of friends that are very accomplished machinist who will give me advise when I need it.
Elmo

Back