Need a Dial Made or Just scribed and marked

Billh50

RIP 2018
Rest In Peace
I need to have a dial made that is 1.25 OD X .40 Long with a .750 Hole through. I can make the blank but have no way to scribe or mark right now. Here is what I am looking for.

dial.jpg

Hi Bill, I hope others with better equipment can come on board.

I think I could do the major and minor scribes, but not the numbers.

David

You can use your lathe to scribe the lines. Turn your threading tool on its side and scratch in the lines using a stop and a simple dividing head that you can make up using cardboard and a pointer. As for the numbers a small stamp set is fairly cheap but you have to get it first and that can take time. I did mention how I made mine in the topic where I made a New top slide for my Atlas lathe for my lathe. Also mentioned how to stamp the numbers on another topic after that.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/replacement-compound-slide-for-atlas-10.708/

Pierre

Last edited:
Pierre,
I thought of that but if I make a mistake because the pointer moved or the cardboard is not marked evenly, then I will scrap the part and I don't have a lot of bar stock to waste.
One of the items I plan on making after is an indexing attachment for my lathe that I have all drawn up. Also I do not have small enough stamps for the numbers.
But I appreciate the thought.

You could do like I did and scribe the outside edge of the chuck first. That was what I had done. If you were closer, as in this side of the border, I would send you my stamps. Look at amazon for some sets. I have these in 2 different sizes. I see some cheaper ones on the site as well.
Pierre

I printed a sheet of paper with lines representing the number of division on the dial. I carefulled measure the circumference of the chuck and added the thickness of the paper as it does make a difference. I used a cad program to array the lines down the sheet. Since the 5" chuck is longer than a sheet of paper I cut a couple strips and wrapped the chuck. I then scribed the backing plate of the chuck where each line needed to be. I ended up with a 100 divisions. I took a piece of wire and used that as a pointer. I then carefully scribed each line on the dial using a sharp pointed tool laid on its side. Moving the carriage back and forth to make a division. They only have to be shallow like .005" deep. Holding the spindle from spinning was the real issue. I used the back gear and pinched the belt to stop it from turning.

Hope this helps.
Pierre

Bill I also did something sort of like Pierre. I printed a big circular dial and stuck it to a piece of thin aluminum and locked it to the back of the spindle with a draw bar and flattened the end of a piece of coat hanger to make a sharp pointer. I locked the spindle sort of like a
prony brake wrapping a piece of red belt around the chuck and hanging a weight on it, also using the indexing pin to lock the spindle when it lined up.

indexing dial on lathe.jpg

Unimat head on cross slide.jpg

Here I am engraving the lines in a blank held in the chuck with my unimat milling arrangement mounted on the cross slide.

David

One thing I forgot to mention. My lathe does not lock up well. It's a Homier Mini-lathe.
One of the things I want to make for it is an indexer on the back end that will also lock the spindle in place. Maybe I should just make the indexer. I can buy a number set of 1.5mm number stamps cheap enough on ebay.

Back