Need a small or bench top band saw.

HarryJ

Registered
Registered
I'm tired of cutting machining blanks with a hacksaw. I prefer a bench top band saw, since I don't have much space available for a floor model bandsaw. Most material I cut is less than 2" steel or 3" aluminum. Would the vertical cutting ability of a floor model band saw be useful? Any recommendations less than $500?

An older rockwell or delta outboard drive 14" wood band saw can be found for under $500,lots of parts available and they have a sturdy frame.Then you need a gear reducer ( look on ebay for a 10:1 boston gear)to get the speed down. It has a small footprint.

Or-use a portable bandsaw like Milwaukee and set up on a stand.

Not a perfect saw but you really can't go wrong with the Harbor Freight or similar 4x6" bandsaw. Even new I think the HF saws are under $300. A bunch of vendors have sold the same basic saw the main advantage to buying a Jet or Grizzly is they should require less adjustment, quality control not being Harbor Freights selling point. That said other than a damaged pulley ($10 got me a replacement from Grizzly) my HF saw has run fine right out of the box.

Sears sold a very similar Craftsman 3x6 bandsaw for years. Used it is pretty easy to find some flavor of 3x6, or 4x6 for under $200. Size wise they are basically a heavy saw horse. Bandsaws are fairly simple so used isn't too scary.

The bench models seem to be far less common so you would probably have to go new with one of those. Another fairly cheap but effective option is a handheld bandsaw, something like a Milwaukee Portaband. Nobody likes cords anymore so again fairly easy to find these used for $100-200. Harbor Freight sells one for $129 which seems to get decent reviews.

Advantage to a floor model is you can start it and then work on something else while you wait. I wouldn't leave the area in case it has a problem, but the saw doesn't require your full attention and has an automatic shut off. If floor space is an issue, I suppose you could just not put the legs on and mount a 4x6 on a bench top if that was helpful for some reason.

Another option is a small power hacksaw. Not as fast as a bandsaw but again you can just set it to cut while you do something else. Hacksaws are a fair bit smaller. Sears sold a 4x4" power hacksaw for decades under the Dunlap and Craftsman brands, it was also sold outside of Sears as an Excel or Atlas. These turn up anywhere from $25 to $200 and are about 2/3 the size of a 4x6 bandsaw. They work best with a heavier power hacksaw blade, but can be used with standard 12" hacksaw blades.

Out of all my bandsaws, old Rockwell handheld, HF 4x6 and HF 14 vertical bandsaw, for small stuff 14” is the king. Put an air sled on it and there are few small things and weird cuts you can’t do and with the air I don’t have to push or watch it. Just set it up and let it do it’s thing. For bigger stuff and mitre cuts the 4x6. The stuff I can’t get in the saw the Rockwell and the 14” for everything else. I think the 14” only takes up 24x24 and I have castors on mine to bring it out of its storage nook when not needed.

Smaller saw are mostly sheet metal framed and not at all made to cut metal where the 14” is cast iron frame and even though it can cut wood if properly geared with a good blade can cut steel, aluminum etc no problem. It’s probably the most popular band saw made with many knockoffs and cheap parts anywhere. I watched for a while and found a used HF 14 for $50. After rebuilding it and putting a fancy guide heads I had around $300 total in it. One of the most useful projects I’ve done.

I use a handheld electric band saw (Port-A-Band is one brand) to cut stock. They work well, take up no floor space, and are relatively inexpensive. I have a Harbor Freight model that I paid less than $100 for and it has lasted many years. I see that they are up to $130 now.

I would like to have a power hacksaw but they have become something of a collector's item in this part of the country. Even the little Sears model is selling used for $300.

Last edited:
Yep, I have an old Harbor-Freightlike 4 by 6 horizontal/vertical saw. It is a work horse. I recently got a 14 inch abrasive chop saw for flats/angle-iron/tubing. It allows me to do angled miter cuts with ease. After ships stop being choked in the California coastline, my plasma cutter will arrive, and then the really creative fun will begin.

Any work your doing with a hack saw will certainly be better cut with a portable bandaw for a very low price.

With my main limitation being floor space as well, I found a way to make use of currently allocated floor space by converting my HF portable band saw to mount to my little used shop press
This was such a simple conversion that i thought someone might find it useful.

Basically remove the handle, move them to an new work box, then use current mounting holes (and a little scrap) to mount to the press:

1635654780446.png

I was clamping it in the vise for a while, but I feel tools, especially the band saw, needs to be ready to go.

Speaking of utilizing space, I have a 18" brake mounted on top of the press, and Im going to mount my 1x30 to the other side next.
Then the whole thing is on locking swivel casters and easily moved if need be.

No replacement for a vertical but adequate for my needs as soon as i finish the table top with miter slot.

I have the same portable HF saw as axa88 is showing . Mine I mounted on a wooden stand which is bolted to a column . Easily removable to use portable again but have never needed to remove it .Its an often used tool and one I should have got one sooner . After seeing axa88 post I’m thinking now of moving it to my press too !

I have the same portable HF saw as axa88 is showing . Mine I mounted on a wooden stand which is bolted to a column . Easily removable to use portable again but have never needed to remove it .Its an often used tool and one I should have got one sooner . After seeing axa88 post I’m thinking now of moving it to my press too !

Yup. Ive seen all sort of projects to mount this and similar portables, didnt understand taking that much time for such a thing.
This way will cost you a half hour and can be paired with a french cleat to mount anywhere.
I suppose if i knew id be using it by hand id buy a second, these still go on sale for less than 100$.

Back