Need Advice On Securing Speaker Wire

Anthony G

Registered
Registered
If this is posted in the wrong thread, I apologize as I wasn't sure where to put it. So, please move if need be.

I'm in the process of updating my workspace. I painted the walls of my garage (concrete block) and I'm running all new electric service and runs. In the spring I may put down one of those epoxy floor systems. I'm also replacing my crappy old boombox stereo with a kicka** amplifier, preamplifier, and tuner along with some vintage kicka** thumping speakers. I built shelves for the speakers that mount in two corners of the garage. And because one of the speakers is about 50 feet away from where I'm putting the stereo (I put the stereo in a wall cabinet to protect it some), I had to buy some heavier speaker wire of 14 gauge.

The problem I'm having is finding cable staples to secure the wire. It's flat speaker wire and measures about .282 across. I've been to 4 different stores looking for some type of low-voltage staple to secure the wire, but can't find anything appropriate. I've done a bunch of Google and Bing searching too and all I can seem to find is those 3/16" staples. I have some of those Gardner-Bender, low-voltage staples, the plastic ones with the single nail, that have the 3/16" slot, and the wire will not fit into the slot of the staple. I found some 1/4" staples, but they're for coax cable so they won't secure the flat wire, either. I know that .282 is larger than .250", but I was hoping that I might *possibly* be able to "force" the speaker wire into the slot and secure the staple. But, the staple has to have the "flat" type slot and not the kind with the radius used for securing round coax cable. You'd think they'd make 1/4" cable staples. Seems like a pretty nominal, common size to me.

Does anyone know of any type of cable staple that would work? Or, any other method? I'm open to suggestions. I would like the job to be neat. I'd like the wire to be secured well. I'm running it along the header at the front of the garage and then make a 90 degree turn along the outer ceiling joist to get to the speaker and I'd like it to stay in place and be straight without dips, etc. I can't secure the wire to the new electric conduit with zip-ties as that's illegal. Believe me, I would if I could as it would make this whole job easier.

If there is ever a situation to use wireless speakers this is it.

I use a lot of P-clips for round wire, but since you are using flat (Romex??), cable staples would work. I believe the make a P-Clip for flat also. You might search Mouser Electronics or Digikey. If you want the 2 nail flat plastic clips:

http://www.b2bcableties.com/Cable-Tie-Manufacturer/DOUBLE-NAIL-FLAT-CABLE-CLIPS.htm

I do a fair amount of low voltage wiring, and use a variety of fastening methods. I'm sure you will find something suitable.

I use a lot of P-clips for round wire, but since you are using flat (Romex??), cable staples would work. I believe the make a P-Clip for flat also. You might search Mouser Electronics or Digikey. If you want the 2 nail flat plastic clips:

No, it's not Romex, it's flat speaker wire. You know, the 2 conductor flat speaker wire that's molded together. All of the 2 nail flat plastic clips I have found have too large of a slot for the size wire I have. The 1 nail flat plastic clips I have found are too small of a slot.

I was just on the RCA website and I found some "Speaker Wire Clips". These: http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/connectivity/audio/?sku=AH12N

But the morons don't list the dimension of the slot. How dumb is that? And in order to contact them and ask them about the clips, I had to jump through about 10 different steps, setting up an account, going through their support, and then filling in a form just to ask them what the slot size is, which they probably won't even be able to tell me.

I was just on the PartsExpress website, too, and they don't have anything at all. You'd think that an audio/video company like that would have something to secure flat speaker wire.

Last edited:

Not a bad idea on either count, but I'd have to buy the special staple gun in order to shoot either staple. I have a Arrow T50, but neither of those staples will work in it. I'm hoping to find something I can manually nail in before I have to resort buying another staple gun. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll keep it in mind in case it comes to that.

Zip Cord then. One conductor ribbed for polarity marking. That link I put up has the 2 nail style along with U-Nails and Telephone wire clips.

Probably not, 100 watts is not that much. Well 100 watts tube driven now that would be loud as hell. 100 watts tube driven can literally injure you.

That's not how wireless speakers work anyway. They have their own power amp and receive only a low level signal via RF or IR.

Back