Need Help Identifying A Lathe In A Photo

brownac1983

Registered
Registered
Hey guys,
This lathe is up for sale not too far from me. The seller doesn't know the model or manufacturer. It can probably be had for an absolute steal, but I need to know what I'm making an offer on. Does this look familiar to anyone? Thanks.
-Drew

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 10.48.30 PM.png

Thanks Ulma Doctor. Any idea what size it might be (hard to tell, I know). One thing that strikes me as odd is that it has neither the normal Atlas change gear access door nor a quick change gearbox, any idea what's going on there?

i believe it's a 10", so my statement above about being "commercial" is incorrect. i believe that the commercial lathes were 12" models only
upon closer examination , i'd venture to guess it's a 10" x 36" atlas lathe
it's a version that is not seen a lot, at least not from my experience. it has the pick o matic transmission!
http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page11.html

it has a strange cover arrangement that i have only seen on 1 other lathe.

it's rare!

It is an OLD Atlas. I'd advise looking for a better lathe,and one that has a quick change gearbox for threading. That old lathe may not have the loose change gears. And,the old Atlases are even thinner than the newer models: Their flat ways are 3/8" thick. Newer ones were 1/2" thick,and still way too thin. My first lathe was a 12" Sears Atlas. I was light years better off when I got my first 10" x 24" Jet.

It's a TH model and I don't think pick-o-madic was made for them. So it may have been upgraded at one time.

Thanks for the help guys. I went ahead and made a deal on it. I normally wouldn't pull the trigger on a piece of machinery sight unseen, but for $300 including the milling attachment and a "toolbox full of stuff Dad used to make things with it" I think it'll be OK. He said it runs fine and was well taken care of. I'll post some more pics when I get it home, it'll be a few weeks as my pickup date is the date of the estate sale.

Back