Need help rebuilding Craftsman lathe

Olddaddy

Registered
Registered
I have a 12” X 24 Craftsman lathe I’ve had for quite awhile. Always been well behaved, but lately having problems with the cross and compound slides. I’ve done some cleaning and inspecting, but they continue to bind when turning them in towards yourself. I don’t know enough to even know where to start. Anyone here who could repair or rebuild them, and inspect all of the machine? I plan to retire in the next year or so and would like to have the lathe working well again. I am located near Orlando on the Disney side of town. If no one is local to me perhaps someone can mentor me via phone or FaceTime to fix things up.

I've not worked on an Atlas/Craftsman. I have worked on 10" Logans and much larger machines.
I'll chat with anybody about vintage machine tools.
Please message me if you want to chat. I'll share more contact data at that time.

Daryl
MN

Yes, of course. I’d be happy to talk with you. I’ve had this lathe a long time and never had a minutes trouble with it until recently. I suspect it’s a simple thing to fix, but I haven’t found that fix as of yet.

Likely simple stuff.

Crud buildup.

Carefully tear it apart, take photos of every step

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back