Need help: square hole in plastic

UPDATE AFTER A TEST

The iron square pipe worked smoothly (but it was sharper than my kitchen knives!) on a scrap of plastic, and made even a hole on the piece of soap bottle I placed against the vise jaw (too thin: the piece was marred anyway).
The hot air gun doesn't seem very helpful.
Tomorrow I'll make the "official" holes, placing some wood on the back of the piece.
Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

I'd probably try drilling small holes in the 4 corners, followed by a 20 mm hole to hog out the middle and then just use a very sharp woodworking chisel and some good old arm pressure to clean it all up.

[SOLVED] Re: Need help: square hole in plastic

I solved my square hole problem.
Here is a first version I made with 4 holes in the corners (the plastic was too hard to use a scroll saw) and a straight wood router.
Then I made a square punch using a piece of iron pipe and the result on a piece of scrap is the small block: far better.

square_hole_01.jpg

To give you an idea of the scope of this piece, it is the screen support for a garden lamp post I made some years ago with an aluminum square pipe and those waterproof LED strips used to be placed below cars: here it's horizontal, but imagine it vertical, in the middle of a red lilies flowerbed.

square_hole_02.jpg

Two curious ladies destroyed it trying to look for a small tree frog hiding inside the lamp, so I decided to make it more robust (in the first version the plastic glasses were kept together with just some silicone).
I had to made two other supports because the first ones, cut with the Cheapex miter saw, had the sides with just a bit of leaning… 2.5 mm over a 20 mm thickness.
At least with a bandsaw the sides now are better.
To make the 20 mm hole I made a 18 mm bore with a spade drill bit. To avoid to have the exit point too far from the starting point (with my drill press this is not a remote possibility) I drilled half a hole from both sides.
I got some fancy shavings (thinking to keep them as a Christmas decoration)

square_hole_04.jpg

and even a free washer:

square_hole_03.jpg

After this I put the plastic and the punch into my bench vise

square_hole_05.jpg

Hint: to avoid blood blisters add some turns of inner tube around the bulb of the vise handle (my dad-in-law used this vise for more than 35 years and always swore about that… but he didn't had the Internet to learn tricks!)

no_more_blood_blisters.jpg

Oh, look! The felt-tip ink passed from the plastic to the wood on the back! Interesting trick, maybe I can patent it… I'll call this method print press :lmao:

square_hole_06.jpg

Anyway… IT WORKED!

square_hole_07.jpg

I guess I can sell the round holes to Swiss cheesemakers…

For the second piece (no photos) I started the square hole from both sides, and it worked far better.
To remove the punch from the plastic drill a hole through the iron, insert a bolt and put a metal bar in the hole, plastic side. Then hammer as hard as you can (plastic has elasticity, and "hugs" the punch very strictly).
The main trick is to have a very sharp punch.
Thanks everybody for all the suggestions!

square_hole_01.jpg square_hole_02.jpg square_hole_03.jpg square_hole_04.jpg square_hole_05.jpg no_more_blood_blisters.jpg square_hole_06.jpg square_hole_07.jpg

Some good improvisation. Glad it worked out for you Marco.
Don't sell the holes to the Swiss cheese makers or they will make cheese that is too holy. And it will end up going church. :)

Thinking a mortising setup on the drill press would work just dandy.

Back