Need help with printing this part.

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So, what is the best way to print this part? Mounting surface down, top face or on the bottom face? I'm thinking the bottom down with supports just like the photo. There is a good chance of having 5 to 6 lbs. of weight hanging on it.

Should I print it with a layer height of 1.5mm or .20mm?

Option 1: If I print it with PLA set at .20mm layer and Quality setting, 15% infill with supports on the build plate only it is going to take 1 day, 6 hours and 11 minutes.

Option 2: If I print it with PLA set at .20mm layer and Speed setting, 20% infill with supports on the build plate only it is going to take 23 hours and 57 minutes.

Option 3: If I print it with PLA set at .15mm layer and Speed setting, 20% infill with supports on the build plate only it is going to take 1 day, 4 hours and 33 minutes.

Option 4: If I print it with PLA set at .15mm layer and Quality setting, 15% infill with supports on the build plate only it is going to take 1 day, 12 hours and 31 minutes. Holy cow that is a long time.

Now if I print it on the mounting surface down.

Option 5: PLA set at .20mm layer and Quality setting, 15% infill no supports it is going to take 22 hours and 15 minutes.

Lots of options isn't there? Maybe I should redesign the part and hollo out the underside, maybe that will help. No big deal either way I just want it to hold my drill chucks without braking.

Just looking for some input on the best way.

MT3 Holder v5.png

I think if you plan to use this as a tool holder than you really need to be cognizant of layer orientation. I think if you printed wall side down, you are asking for trouble.

If this were my part, I would bring the sides down to the bottom of the back wall plate and print from the holder side down. It's not as nice looking as yours, but I would worry a lot less about the print integrity while my drill chucks are hanging on the wall.

Tool Holder Example v1.png

My first thought was exactly what VTCNC put up; shift the plate down and run it with the bottom side on the plate.

The other good (possibly better ) option I see is to run it on its side. If you run it on it’s bottom, you could get a split where upright tab meets the holey plate. Turning it sideways provides a continuous load path.

Settings wise, I’d run it at least .2 mm thick layers, probably coarser. A thicker shell will strengthen the print more than denser infill, so I might give it an extra contour or two.

You can also split the part in half and print one half upside down so that the mating faces are on the bed and layer loops are oriented for strength, then glue the two halves together. Works pretty well for designs like this.

Or a two, flat pieces, assembled with dovetail design.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm getting a better handle on the design and strength issues. I like your design Bryan @vtcnc , but what about flipping it over and having it flat on the top and the supports on the bottom? I'll redesign the part and try again.

@KyleG mentioned on the side, that make sense. Like this. I'm not sure why I didn't think about that.

Screenshot 2022-11-26 135047.png

Tim

Place the part so that the text is on top. I think it will print the holes pretty decent.
After printing you can use a drill/reamer to cleanup the holes.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm getting a better handle on the design and strength issues. I like your design Bryan @vtcnc , but what about flipping it over and having it flat on the top and the supports on the bottom? I'll redesign the part and try again.

@KyleG mentioned on the side, that make sense. Like this. I'm not sure why I didn't think about that.

View attachment 427958

Tim
Thanks. I like KyleG's suggestion better than mine. (where is the "doh!" button where you hear me smacking my forehead) your design looks better than my basic angle plate. Also, I think you achieve what you need for strength regarding layer orientation and strength using Kyle's suggestion.

Thank You,

I have been playing with different designs but nothing I like as well as my first one.

I was rereading this thread and would like to share something I’ve learned the past month with my new Prusa.

I made a comment about layer orientation. While I feel it is important, my comment was based on experience with an Ender 3 Pro. After a month of some light printing with the Prusa, I would worry less about layer orientation. The setup of the Prusa is really superior compared to that of the Creality. The only thing I have had to worry about is drafts in my shop which ruined one print. (I intentionally tested for it to see how valid draft claims are).

I’d like to say that layer orientation is still an important design and print process consideration, but it seems the Prusa makes it less so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back