Need Help with Taper Attachment for SB9

ShagDog

Registered
Registered
Trying to use my taper attachment for the first time. It is the "Plain Taper" attachment for the SB9lathe. Got is set up for an MT 2. I disconnected the cross feed screw as stated in HTRAL book. Note that photo shows screw back in place. In an event it should be noted that with the screw in, the cross slide is very tight to move, unlike when the taper attachment is not mounted.
Here is the main question. How do I feed the cross slide in and out with the cross feed removed. It just spins freely. I did loosen the top clamp. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240327_112945.jpg
    20240327_112945.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 10
When I had a similar type of taper attachment on an American lathe, I would remove the screw and back the crossfeed nut back from its normal position then drop the screw back into the hole to prevent chips from falling into the hole and lock the cross slide to the taper attachment; feeding the tool for subsequent cuts on the workpiece is accomplished by feeding the compound rest, which should be set perpendicular to the spindle axis.

When I had a similar type of taper attachment on an American lathe, I would remove the screw and back the crossfeed nut back from its normal position then drop the screw back into the hole to prevent chips from falling into the hole and lock the cross slide to the taper attachment; feeding the tool for subsequent cuts on the workpiece is accomplished by feeding the compound rest, which should be set perpendicular to the spindle axis.
Thanks. I thought that might be the case; however. I also thought, apparently incorrectly, that using the compound would affect the taper. Good idea on the putting the screw back in. I knew I could count on you for the answer :). Now to go and turn a taper.

I hoped that be helpful, my present lathe, a 19" Regal Leblond, has a telescopic taper attachment, the only problem is that any lost motion due to a worn screw or nut makes for lost motion so that one has to run further towards the tailstock when returning for the next cut, or locking the cross slide and using it the same as a plain taper attachment, using the compound to do the feeding. Life is not perfect ---

John is correct about using the compound for tool in feed. There should be a plug that's used to fill the hole in the cross slide stored in the taper attachment anchor. I actually prefer to use the standard taper attachment compared to the telescoping type because of the slop in the telescoping systems.8567A877-8FA9-4E59-8933-C36B1E731522.jpegF5DDFDE7-ED7F-4991-BF5F-A4D518B1B501.jpeg

JCP, I was wondering what that part was for. Next time I will use the plug. Thanks to both of you for your help.

In the past, I used the offset tail stock method on another lathe for doing MT2 tapers. As stated above, I used the taper attachment for my first time today. A pleasant difference in using the taper attachment. Better, and easier. I won't be going back to the offset tailstock method, if I can help it.

Trying to use my taper attachment for the first time. It is the "Plain Taper" attachment for the SB9lathe. Got is set up for an MT 2. I disconnected the cross feed screw as stated in HTRAL book. Note that photo shows screw back in place. In an event it should be noted that with the screw in, the cross slide is very tight to move, unlike when the taper attachment is not mounted.
Here is the main question. How do I feed the cross slide in and out with the cross feed removed. It just spins freely. I did loosen the top clamp. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Did remove the cross feed screw nut?

I have owned a SB 9 tapper attachment since 1972

Dave

No need to remove the nut, just crank the cross feed back so the nut is not in the way of the taper to be machined.

Back