Need info. on Logan 920

Rock

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a Logan 920,....appears a pretty solid machine, but have a couple questions:
The plate that the motor bolted to at the rear of the machine is supported by the "peg leg" on one side, but hanging just above the chip tray in free air on the other side,...that doesn't seem correct to me......................and also there is a gear in the headstock that the previous owner had made from nylon, (which doesn't work)...I want to replace it with the correct metal gear,....can someone tell me the correct name and/or part number for this gear?
Thanks guys

Lathe 1.jpg

Lathe 1.jpg
Lathe 2.jpg
Lathe 3.jpg
Lathe 4.jpg
Lathe 5.jpg

In order of what you need.
If you are a member, I believe there is a manual in the documents. If not, there's one at Vintage Machinery. That will answer your other questions. But not to be a jerk the motor has a bolt type tension adjustor on the right of the motor in the picture you posted. Yes, the hinged motor bracket simply hangs on it.
The nylon gear in that position is being used as a spacer/it's where to keep a gear not in use. I have a nylon transposing gear for metric threads and they work just fine. The manual will help you figure out what's missing. You can then haunt eBay or buy one from Scott Logan, grandson of the founder, at lathe.com. Or save your money for something else and just use the perfectly good nylon one.

The bolt on your leg leg is there because the pad is missing. Pretty common. A hockey puck makes a decent replacement. What I did to level mine is get equipment feet from McMaster Carr. Much easier than having to shim between the lathe feet and the chip pan.

Let us know if I missed something.

They are good lathes. The 11" was made by putting a taller headstock, with a different type spindle bearing, and tailstock on the 10". So everything below that, and the back gears IIRC, is the same as a 10". You will see 19XX models. The difference is the conversion to a vee belt.

Ron

P.S. You are very fortunate to have an aftermarket large dial though you may find that the cross slide movement is blocked by it before you can turn something at the lathe's actual capacity. One of the kind of funky things about the Logans is full extension of a stock cross slide covers the micrometer.

It looks like your carriage lock may be missing. Also not uncommon. All they are is a bolt and a small piece of flat stock, ~1/4"?? that pulls up tight to the underside of the bed. Easy shop made replacement.

Last edited:
@Rock welcome to the forum!! Congratulations on your new lathe.

In order of what you need.
If you are a member, I believe there is a manual in the documents. If not, there's one at Vintage Machinery. That will answer your other questions. But not to be a jerk the motor has a bolt type tension adjustor on the right of the motor in the picture you posted. Yes, the hinged motor bracket simply hangs on it
I appreciate any and all advice or help.....and I will order a manual. I might not have explained clearly what I was asking in regard to the motor plate hanging in free air,....I understand that it is a mount for the motor, and that is how belt tension is set,...but it just looked a little odd for the front of the bracket to just be hanging above the chip pan, and was wondering if there may be a piece missing that the bracket is suppose to connect to.

I might not have explained clearly what I was asking in regard to the motor plate hanging in free air,....I understand that it is a mount for the motor, and that is how belt tension is set,...but it just looked a little odd for the front of the bracket to just be hanging above the chip pan, and was wondering if there may be a piece missing that the bracket is suppose to connect to.
Hi Rock, no you were very clear, and yes, it "hangs" on one bolt, double nutted so the motor doesn't jump. But it is also supported by the two hinge pins. So while it may look weak, it definitely isn't. I also have a Logan 8" shaper, and the motor is mounted the same way. It's older than I am, wish I was as still as strong. :)

Should you ever have to replace or work on the motor, using tee nuts for the motor hold down bolts makes adjustments etc. a lot easier.

FYI for what it's worth. The three position "barrel" switch has an always connected neutral and is no longer code for a motor shut-off. The correct switch is cheap insurance, $12 for the one below. I simply mounted a metal "handy" box under my barrel switch.
:
Leviton 1222-2GY 20 Amp, 120/277 Volt, Toggle Double-Pole AC Quiet Switch, Extra Heavy Duty Grade, Self Grounding, Back and Side Wired, Gray

Many other choices if you like big red buttons etc.

Please continue to ask and post away.

Scott Logan, grandson of the creator, also hosts a FaceBook group and a Logan Lathe Users Group that has a lot of information in the group files. No manuals, we tend to respect the effort Scott puts into keeping the parts available by not posting manuals, but the posts have many screen captures to illustrate the point under discussion. them. Different sites, I wouldn't have mentioned it if there wasn't one posted here. But you do have to join the site to see documents here, FWIT a small investment over the time I hope you enjoy your lathe. And Scott has posted some information to the Vintage Machinery site himself. FWIT I am glad you supported Scott. He's a great guy.

As always, your mileage may vary. Just passing what I can forward.

Hi Rock, no you were very clear, and yes, it "hangs" on one bolt, double nutted so the motor doesn't jump. But it is also supported by the two hinge pins. So while it may look weak, it definitely isn't. I also have a Logan 8" shaper, and the motor is mounted the same way. It's older than I am, wish I was as still as strong. :)

To add on to what Shiseiji added added above, I would also check and/or replace the two rubber bushings that the two hinge pins are engaged into. When I bought my model 1922, those bushings were completely trashed. You can buy them through lathe.com or they are on ebay.

To add on to what Shiseiji added added above, I would also check and/or replace the two rubber bushings that the two hinge pins are engaged into. When I bought my model 1922, those bushings were completely trashed. You can buy them through lathe.com or they are on ebay.
Thank you for the tip,.........I just took a look at my Logan 920, and there are absolutely no rubber bushings anywhere (completely gone)....so if you can point out exactly where they should be, I will gladly order new ones. :)

Thank you for the tip,.........I just took a look at my Logan 920, and there are absolutely no rubber bushings anywhere (completely gone)....so if you can point out exactly where they should be, I will gladly order new ones. :)
Mine is an 820, but here, take a look

D927DB9E-95E5-47D4-8DB3-E95C3619DC04.jpeg

Back