Need new set of R8's for the new PM935Tv

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Thinking I'll buy new R8's for the new machine plus a set of R8 ER40s. The old Chinese mills collets are kind of rough. Well a lot ruff. Don't need 1000.00 set just to some to compliment the new mill. Any suggestions is appreciated.
CH

This is a high quality set from Taiwan. Recommended.

You might also be interested in some of my other curated recommendations and tutorials - see attached.

Attachments

• Machine Tooling Get Started List December2022.pdf
    168.6 KB · Views: 16
  • About R8 ER and 5C Collets.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • R8 Tool Holding Alternatives – Power Drawbars versus Quick Change.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Hey David thanks again. I don't every thing you do, but over the years I have collect a a lot of stuff. Most of it is on you list. I never put a lot of money in the R8s I used on my 932m PDF mill because it just didn't need it now with a much higher quality mill I can do a lot more with better tools, and cutters. So I'll be doing some shopping.

Hi David. Just placed my order for the vertex R8s I also have those make of collets for my tool grinder. I didn't think about their R8 collets they are nice. Thanks again.

Got the new collets yesterday day. They look nice hope they are as good as they look.
CH

I use and ER-32 collet system on the mill, I have ER-40 and find it a bit too big, but use it on the lathe. I have a power drawbar, so when drawing up and end mill with an R8 collet I always wrap the end mill with a cloth as to not cut my fingers or get them pinched in the collet. When ejecting, I but a box with a cloth under the end mill so it does not fall and damage the end mill. After chipping a few carbide end mills, I figured better to put something under them. I also use integrated arbor tooling or ER holders as opposed to my R8 collets most of the time, but do use them with bigger end mills for rigidity. Most end mills are standard shank sizes so a 1/8" increment set usually is sufficient.

I use and ER-32 collet system on the mill, I have ER-40 and find it a bit too big, but use it on the lathe. I have a power drawbar, so when drawing up and end mill with an R8 collet I always wrap the end mill with a cloth as to not cut my fingers or get them pinched in the collet. When ejecting, I but a box with a cloth under the end mill so it does not fall and damage the end mill. After chipping a few carbide end mills, I figured better to put something under them. I also use integrated arbor tooling or ER holders as opposed to my R8 collets most of the time, but do use them with bigger end mills for rigidity. Most end mills are standard shank sizes so a 1/8" increment set usually is sufficient.
I have some of the TTS(Tormach tool system) that go in the 3/4" Tormach collect. They are nice but they do have some Run out and are limited to sizes of cutters because of the small ER collets. I also have a limited set of ER40 collets.So decided to up grade the old Chinese beaters that I have used in my previous Chinese mills that is considerably less than the 935 quality. At 72+ I Figure this is my last mill. With the 12x36t lathe it would be great to have equal quality machines to hand down. Besides no one knows if Taiwan will be around to much longer, or for that matter, any of us.
CH

Last edited:
Back