Need some help with a 10" Rockwell Lathe

Jeff P

Registered
Registered
I'm kind of new to this hobby and am a long time lurker and first time poster.

I have a Rockwell 10" lathe that needs a tail stock drill chuck and perhaps some day a live center. Problem is I can't figure out what taper to buy - I've read stuff that says it's a modified MT 2 (not sure what to do with the "modified" part) and have also read that a collet is required to get @ 2MT to fit.

Like I said - I'm pretty much a newbie - can anyone provide some info as to what I need to purchase?

Help is GREATLY appreciated.

I used to have a 10" Rockwell and recall the tailstock being a MT2. Here's a pic of the headstock parts; looks like there's and adapter and a center. As I recall, the spindle without the adapter directly took 4C collets. I never turned between centers on that lathe and have no info on the adapter.

1676331769457.png
1676331810449.png

Here are the dimensions of a 4C collet:

1676331909120.png

I don't know if the spindle without the adapter was a MT3 or MT4. Here are the dimensions of a MT3 and MT4, check the opening size with a scale and compare to the chart below. I'd doubt that it's a MT3 as 4C collets are a larger diameter than the large end of MT3; most likely a MT4.

1676332139289.png

Bruce

Thanks for taking the time Bruce. The measurement you provided for the large of #2 matches what I have but using a measuring device the length is short. Also I have nothing to measure the inside small end. Based on your info I'll order a #2 and see what happens.
Thanks again.

Back