Need some ideas

Charles, I just looked up Great Stuff, and while I could swear it used to use moisture to cure, the current info says it takes longer to cure.
I would contact the company via email and ask them which product to use. I know other urethanes also use moisture.. so I'm not sure if there was a change in formulation, or my mind is going.

Do the due diligence.

I’d think about Masterseal SL2, polyurethane sealant that chemically cures. I used it in a similar application.

I would be concerned about the structural integrity of the pipe. I have had prior experience with tubing and pipe rusting out from the inside. It is almost certain that the strength of the column is now compromised. Plan on having to replace the pipe column.

If you go the concrete/mortar/grout approach, look at using the acrylic latex additive to make it water impermeable.

I don't think its going to be very simple to fill a pipe (guessing ~3" diameter or less) using an aerosol can of spray foam. As soon as the material leave the mixing nozzle, it expands rapidly and will "plug" the pipe pretty quickly rather than flow very far. Maybe a foot or two.

I'd really like to see a photo (or more) of the area where you think the water is getting into the post. I think the conventional method is to weld a plate on top of the post to CLOSE the pipe and provide a mounting flange. I'd like to see their better idea. :confusion:

I knew this would come up. Attach/tape a piece of (pex?) tubing to the can and inject the foam deep into the pipe. Been there, done that.

Either fill it or cap it with hydraulic cement….

Back