Need some part i.d. this came with my Southbend heavy 10. Does anyone know what it is? The # in the casting is B268A I believe.

Wild guess is that it is an offset base used with the milling attachment.

There are marks on the edge of the larger part every 15 degrees. Hard to tell in the picture but the 90 degree mark looks like it might be parallel with the bottom of the smaller part. There is also a scribe mark on the edge of the smaller part. My guess is the smaller part fits on the compound and that a vise of some kind fits on the larger part.

I don't think it is part of the lathe at all, someone should look through a South Bend catalog and see if there is anything resembling it. I had some catalogs, but I think I sold them on e bay.

I did look through a South Bend catalog and they did sell off set bases for the milling attachment. The ones I saw were similar. The big differences are that ones in the catalog appeared to be a one piece casting whereas the one in the picture might be welded together and the one pictured is much larger than the ones in the catalog I looked at.

I'd go with part of an adjustable work rest for a grinder. The slot in the top would hold some kind of shuttle that the tool bit or work would be held in.

It does not look heavy enough to be a milling attachment part.

Back