NEEDING MENTOR

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
howdy living in tacoma wa. nd would like to find someone with lathe experience. I started out with a grizzly micro lathe made some nice parts
then proceeded to a 7x14 lathe. making some very nice useable parts, but am now wanting to further my knowledge hoping some one out thier will take me on . Im retired and have lots of free time. in the tacoma wa. area. anyone out have time for a novice reply back >>>>>>>>>>>>>am looking for HANDS ON ONLY!

Last edited:
Hello,

My home base is Kalama, but I'm visiting in CA right now, so face-to-face is out of the question for a while longer.

I recommend you get yourself onto the map as described in the Relaunch instruction (Bold headlines at the top of the page).

What sort of help do you think you need? Maybe we can handle (at least some of) it online.

Extropic if your California visit takes you to the Sacramento area stop by and say high.

Hello,

My home base is Kalama, but I'm visiting in CA right now, so face-to-face is out of the question for a while longer.

I recommend you get yourself onto the map as described in the Relaunch instruction (Bold headlines at the top of the page).

What sort of help do you think you need? Maybe we can handle (at least some of) it online.
on line?? no thanx

Dan , you're online asking for help , which is why this site exists . Why " no thanxs " to any online help offered ? I don't get it/you . :dunno:
looking for "hands on" plain and simple!

@riversidedan in this age of COVID, you might just have to be patient. We have a few people in the area, and as things get safer out there, someone will pop up that you can visit.

If you are in a real hurry, you might try Bates. They have an excellent manual machining course. I haven't seen it myself, of course, but word-of-mouth, y'know.

Dan , I see you edited your original post as hands on only help needed , which is fine . Sometimes we have to be more specific on what we're looking for . Are you willing to travel to someone's shop ? Are you looking for someone to come to your shop ? What type of help are you requiring ? Machine specific or general knowledge ?

You may get more takers filling in some blanks for those that are close to you . Just a suggestion and not a dig .

One of the best mentors there is available is U tube. There are lots of incredible machinists on there. Watch a dozen videos about one subject, such as single point threading. Each of them will have a different method for setup and process but in the end they will have completed the process. Then head to the shop and see what works best for you. Yes you will mess up as you go but you will learn from those mistakes.

Joe

@riversidedan - I think a brief clarification is needed here.

The "online" map that Extropic is referring to is designed to help members find and connect geographically close to one another. The way we hope people to use it is to look at the map, get their own location pinned on it and be able to connect with people close by to them. With that in mind, you may able to get some hands-on, face-to-face mentoring that way.

Back