New Arbor Press Pull Handle - What Steel?

I have a 1" toretion bar out of an old 1960's Dodge for mi old arbor press
Bob

A factory I worked in used E. T. D. 150 (an Extreme Temperature Drawn steel), a 4142 steel for piston rods, (not connecting rods, those were forged). the EDT 150 comes at 33 Rockwell C, untreated. It's really tough material. If you can find a piece that will work for your arbor handle, I'd recommend that.

Note: the 150 is 150,000 pounds per square inch of strain resistance. 1018 steel is near 50,000 #.

Tom

Sorry to be tardy with the pics - my internet was out yesterday! Let me know if these work, I am no expert at digital picture attachments and forums.

Here she is in her old home (note 3/4 steel table top and lack of through hole):

Here she is in her new home (note hole cut under bolster plate now):

And the Handle up close:

Last edited by a moderator:
Support your local blacksmith.

I do! I've been feeding him for 14 years and I bought him his anvil and most of his tools (the rest he made).

I will probably let him have that old bar to make with.

Very nice set up. I've got a FAMCO 3ton as well. Nice deep throat on it too. But I do wish it was a racheting style. Will probably mill the first two teeth off as has been suggested before. Have you considered removing the arbor and squaring up the top using your mill?

I don't remember where I saw it but there are pictures out there some where showing a modification of the pinion where a 3/4 drive socket was welded to the pinion. The pinion had been shortened. This allowed the use of a 3/4 drive ratchet. Instant ratcheting handle.

Darrell

I don't remember where I saw it but there are pictures out there some where showing a modification of the pinion where a 3/4 drive socket was welded to the pinion. The pinion had been shortened. This allowed the use of a 3/4 drive ratchet. Instant ratcheting handle.

Darrell

Well, don't we know what I'll be doing with my next free shoptime. I can see it now..........less skined knuckles and no "blue" words to follow any more. YEA! On a couple occasions I've made my shop cat blush over a mashed digit.

Reactions: 18w
Seems to me the original handle was designed to bend before a pinion tooth broke, and you really wouldn't want anything stronger.

Back