New chuck replacement

MLDJR

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys,
I have a 1943 LaBlond 13" Regal. It currently has an 8" chuck and the jaws need to be reground. But for now I want to replace it with a 6" chuck. I have a 6" backer plate already with proper thread so that isn't the problem.

My question. Has anyone had any success with the less expensive Shar's chucks? If I set my budget at $200 can I get a quality 6" chuck?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a little 4" 6 jaw from Shars. It's pretty decent. Runs true. My only complaint is that the jaws are magnetized, and that is fairly easy to remedy.

I have a 6" 3-jaw I bought back in 2000-2001, which I'm sure came from the same factory in China. So far it has been a nice decent chuck. Mine has the 2-piece jaws so you only deal with flipping the jaws for inside to outside, plus I have a collection of soft jaws I use with the chuck, too. Runout is within .002-.003" when I bought it. Had to turn the registering boss down a couple of thousandths to allow me to indicate the chuck in. I've only had to adjust this a time or two over the years. Still holds dead true at the chuck. Fixing to buy a new chuck for my super spacer, I'm considering one of the 6-jaw Shars chucks for it. Ken

I purchased a 6" three jaw from Shars with the reversible two piece jaws a couple years back. My experiences are the same as Ken's. An excellent purchase for the money in my opinion. My 10" Logan originally had a 5" chuck, so the 6" is a little large, but it works well. I have been thinking about purchasing a 4" chuck from Shars as most of my work is smaller anyway.

Wow, thanks for the input guys. I think I am going give it a shot. Its going to be light use so for the money I didn't think i could go wrong.

Back