New Cromwell S800 MK3 Lathe

Major Victory!!
I found the source of my lack of drive power. After a lot more ringing out of circuit and testing of resistances I found the culprit - a burnt contact on the reversing switch. It was on the pole that switches the armature and one side was still making contact, so when it was switched on it didn't connect across the switch as intended but through the resistors, giving the 6 V drop from gen. to motor. The motor now runs with lots of torque. I am embarrassed that it took so long to find the problem but at least it is found. Thanks for your help John and others.
Michael

Excellent.

Thanks John. Your troubleshooting advise was a big help. The contact was burnt off in such a way that the damage wasn't visible, but it couldn't hide from a VOM.
Now it is just a matter of putting a 220 V contactor on it, moving it into position and leveling it up. The only big problem is figuring out how to use it without getting it dirty!
Michael

Great to hear you got things sorted out.
I'm currently making some small parts for a CNC plasma table and fighting my worn out Colchester if you need projects, LOL

Greg

Glad You got it running right. Now it's time to get it dirty.:thumbsup: Bob

great job! Electrical gremlin are a pain to deal with, I'd much rather have mechanical problems any day.

Last post on this machine - until I start to make additional change gears and a follow rest.

The lathe is moved into its final position, leveled, tailstock lined up with the headstock, and magnetic starter installed. I connected to micro switch on the back of the bed at the headctock end. There is an adjustable stop rod on the back of the carriage which opens the micro sw., interrupts the DC motor's armature current - effectively putting the brakes on. It was intended to keep the carriage and tooling from being run into the headstock.
The wiring kept me on my knees ringing out circuits and comparing them to the wiring diagram for more hours than I care to admit. Anyway all's well that ends well.

Thank You All for your interest and help, Pics below
Michael

009.JPG007.JPG

009.JPG 007.JPG

That sure is purdy, Michael! I have always like the look of that style casting on a lathe. Just classy. Will be a shame to get it dirty, but it looks easy enough to clean up.

Glad you got the problem sorted.

Sure looks purdy. Going to be a sin to get it dirty.

Greg

Back