New G0602 Setup

One thing that I’m trying to do when I make changes is to follow the measurement scheme of the machine. I made a carriage stop for my G9972Z and used Imperial fasteners. It’s aggravated me every time I use it because everything else on that lathe is metric so for two little screws I have to keep Imperial hex wrenches handy. I prefer to keep sets in holders rather than loose individual wrenches. Right now I’m setting up an ER40 collet chuck to be adjustable. The lathe it’s going on is metric so I’m staying with metric setscrews on the chuck. It prevents needing two sets of hex wrenches at the machine and reduces clutter a little. My mill is an American Index 645 so any tools that I make for it will have Imperial fasteners.

One thing that I’m trying to do when I make changes is to follow the measurement scheme of the machine. I made a carriage stop for my G9972Z and used Imperial fasteners. It’s aggravated me every time I use it because everything else on that lathe is metric so for two little screws I have to keep Imperial hex wrenches handy. I prefer to keep sets in holders rather than loose individual wrenches. Right now I’m setting up an ER40 collet chuck to be adjustable. The lathe it’s going on is metric so I’m staying with metric setscrews on the chuck. It prevents needing two sets of hex wrenches at the machine and reduces clutter a little. My mill is an American Index 645 so any tools that I make for it will have Imperial fasteners.
I do the same, My memory doesn't register multi units well.

One of the things I noticed is that the spindle pulley is not aligned with the other 2. Here's how they look when running:
High Speed Alignment Running.jpg

Low Speed Misalign.jpg

Grizzly sent me a pair of spacers, first fix I'll attempt is to put another spacer (13) in this asssebly to see if it lines up.

Spindle Parts Breakdown.jpg

Any other suggestions?

Continuing work on further cleaning and setting up the lathe for use. Drilled and tapped the tool rest side plate to accept the AXA M14 x 1.5 threaded post:

View attachment 487864View attachment 487865

Started to have a look at alignment, here's what I found with an MT3 test bar in the spindle with an MT3-MT4 adapter:

Near side runout is ~ 0.0005" each direction
View attachment 487866

Far side (~ 9 1/2" away from spindle) runout is ~ 0.0025" each direction:
View attachment 487867

Any suggestions for improvement here? Perhaps shim the tailstock end foot on the operator slide a few thousandths to get these to match?

Or a different method to tune alignment?
There is a small amount of built in runout from the factory that has been adjusted in to compensate for tool pressure and workpiece deflection. When inserting that style of test bar, Take a rubber mallet and rap it on the end to seat the test bar well into the spindle taper. I bought a #5MT Test bar and found it to be ground very accurately.

The Grizzly spec for spindle taper runout is .02mm at the spindle nose and .03mm at 100 mm from the spindle nose. This is equal to .0008" and .0012" @ 4". The runout for my G0602 is .012mm and .02mm.

In addition to potential problems with the test bar, there can be issues with the M4/M3 adapter.

Per above, lathe is in spec as I measured with this test bar:
Spindle Runout with Test Bar.jpg

Back