New guy with an old Hardinge

IHinIN

Registered
Registered
I’m Adam. I work as a toolmaker and have been machining since my junior year of high school (1993) when I took machine trades at vocational school. This is my DV59 second-op lathe that I’ve had for around 12yrs. A friend sold it to me for a price I couldn’t pass up. The original 2-speed 3-phase motor was bad when I bought it so I reconfigured the drive system and went with a single phase motor with a 2-speed belt drive to the original 4-speed belt drive so that I retained the 8 speeds. It now has slower speeds which are more useful. I recently removed the carriage lock and added dovetail ways, a gib, and a lead screw (a project I started about 12 yrs ago). Now, I no longer have to indicate the compound parallel to the centerline to turn a diameter. I also recently made a milling attachment using a Palmgren 2-1/2” vise.

Attachments

• IMG_1879.jpeg
    IMG_1879.jpeg
    717.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1819.jpeg
    IMG_1819.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 41
Welcome to H-M and Happy Holidays.

Damn we have alot in common ! :p DSM Hardinge here .

Thanks.
A few more pics. I also made an indicator holder that locks onto the spindle taper. IMG_1963.jpegIMG_1962.jpegIMG_1960.jpegIMG_1959.jpegIMG_1870.jpegIMG_1868.jpeg

I’m Adam. I work as a toolmaker and have been machining since my junior year of high school (1993) when I took machine trades at vocational school. This is my DV59 second-op lathe that I’ve had for around 12yrs. A friend sold it to me for a price I couldn’t pass up. The original 2-speed 3-phase motor was bad when I bought it so I reconfigured the drive system and went with a single phase motor with a 2-speed belt drive to the original 4-speed belt drive so that I retained the 8 speeds. It now has slower speeds which are more useful. I recently removed the carriage lock and added dovetail ways, a gib, and a lead screw (a project I started about 12 yrs ago). Now, I no longer have to indicate the compound parallel to the centerline to turn a diameter. I also recently made a milling attachment using a Palmgren 2-1/2” vise.
Welcome to the group
Lathe looks great

Dave

Thanks for the detailed pics, I was interested to see the rack on the back of the dovetail which mine lacks.

Back