NEW OLD HEAVY 10 + TOOLING +

dlane

Active User
Registered
GOT MY NEW REALLY OLD HEAVY 10 ITS GOING TO BE A PROJECT. I ordered the new felts and rebuild book from ebay. Got it from the grandson of the original owner, came with a bunch of tooling some of it i don't know what it dose, 2- 3 jaw chucks, 2-4 jaw chucks,spider chuck, follower+steady rests, 32 r5 collets and wheel closer, taper attachment ,bunches of lathe bits 40 lbs, realy nice old starrett machinist level. Bunches of end mills but i don't have a mill "yet" prob about 80 lbs. its going to take me a while to go thru all the tooling.
The machine is a mod cl 187A 4'bed sr#8005rrl14 . It is really dirty and crusty greasy so i didn't want him to run it long or travel the bed far just enough to see it work.
I tried to talk him down from 2k he would not budge on the price but for an extra $100. he threw in a Do All vertical band saw originally it was a band filer but it was converted to a saw by dick russell.
If anyone could tell me what i have would be great. I'm now going to attempt to put up some pics up. Any thoughts, advice, or comments much appreciated thanks. don't know if pics worked but i'll keep tryin
Derrick

DSCN4700 (800x600).jpg DSCN4695 (800x600) (2).jpg DSCN4694 (800x600).jpg DSCN4698 (800x600).jpg DSCN4716 (800x600).jpg DSCN4735 (800x600).jpg DSCN4734 (800x600).jpg DSCN4729 (800x600).jpg

Now thats a nice chunk of a find. Some parts pictured don't go with the lathe but would be in a shop...Bob

Having trouble finding 20 wt machine oil. Don't want to clean things up without re oiling. In AR i could've got all i wanted within 2 mi don't know if i can get any in CA. What can i use to lube in CA ?. Good oil ,paint , solvents are i guess illegal here in ca,:angry:

A couple more questions

Any body know what the three bushing looking things are in pic 9 they were in the motor compartment. Also the collet set up, is something missing do the R5 collets just go in the spindle and the tube holds them in , the collar on the spindle nose i found looked like it is for the collets it has a pin in it and it fits in the taper of the spindle bore and has a taper for the R5 collets with the pin in it How many parts are there for a wheel collet closer to work?. Do they sell a er 40 collet holder for the heavy 10 i have a full set of er 40s. Also going to need the saddle travel lever any body have one laying around or know where to get one?. Dose the taper attachment look like its missing something ?. Also 20 wt machine oil cleaning solvents and good paint in Ca. might be a prob.
Thanks for any help, advice, thoughts
Derrick

Re: A couple more questions

Power steering fluid is right in the 20wt range. Non-detergent, good anti-wear properties. Comes in quarts from your local auto parts store.

Nice find, good buy in my opinion especially with all the tooling and a taper attachment, and collet closer. You are missing a threaded collar for the 5c collets, the collar goes on first and then the piece you have inserted in the spindle. The threaded collar helps to self eject the part that locks the collet in. Man I would do a full restore on that lathe if it was mine!

Any body know what the three bushing looking things are in pic 9 they were in the motor compartment. Also the collet set up, is something missing do the R5 collets just go in the spindle and the tube holds them in , the collar on the spindle nose i found looked like it is for the collets it has a pin in it and it fits in the taper of the spindle bore and has a taper for the R5 collets with the pin in it How many parts are there for a wheel collet closer to work?. Do they sell a er 40 collet holder for the heavy 10 i have a full set of er 40s. Also going to need the saddle travel lever any body have one laying around or know where to get one?. Dose the taper attachment look like its missing something ?. Also 20 wt machine oil cleaning solvents and good paint in Ca. might be a prob.
Thanks for any help, advice, thoughts
Derrick
If that lathe came out of an auto shop I know what they are. I have a set of those in my tool archives. They are locator buttons to put in an engine block to align the heads when reassembling an engine. If you slide the head around lining up the bolt holes, you moe often than not, destroy the head gaskets. Once the head is in place and you have a few headbolts started, there is a long pin ( 8 inches or so) that has a spring loaded ball near the bottom, (the locator pins have a tapered hole) you merely push the pin down a headbolt hole, push it thru the locator, the ball compresses on the way in and expands enough to capture the locator on the way out.

I am planing on going threw it, cleaning ,painting fixing SB. That's on hold till i get an old atlas going good first. Can' wait to get it back in shape if possible. Thanks Earl i'll put those in the non SB parts box. Thanks Greg It'll be nice when done it was so covered in old caked on grease / oil chips i didn't want po to run it long. After a little cleaning noticed a little bed ware tho. Any one know where i could find a threaded collar for the 5c collects or have a pic of one so i know what i'm looking for?.
Sorry they are 5c collects
thanks all.
Derrick

Started in on Sb heavy 10 cleaning painting re-felting . first problem reverse tumbler gear shaft screw broken on rear gear "nut gone" anybody have one lying around or know where to find one ?. felt goes threw the shoulder gear rides on.
thanks

Back